1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor or Tower problem? Monitor is blinking on and off.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rumcase, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rumcase

Rumcase Thread Starter

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer, ah, specs (or finding information about the one I have)... so I don't have much for you to go on.

Computer is a Dell, with Windows XP Home Edition. Monitor is LCD.

A few days ago (around Wednesday morning) my monitor began to click on and off. The screen would flash black and the light, next to the on/off button, would flash from green (on) to yellow/orange (off). At first it wasn't that bad. When I switched pages on the internet, scrolled, or highlighted something on the page it would flash.
    It steadily got worse, going from internet pages to flashing on and off right when I turned the computer on, all through the loading and welcome screens.
    I thought maybe it was just the monitor, so I switched it out and hooked up my old hp pavilion mx70 monitor.

That monitor worked perfectly fine with my old tower, but when hooked up to my new one it... Erm, got 'static-y'. It looked like an old TV that had a VHS tape in the player, being re-wound. I know that sounds odd, but it was like spikes from the side of the screen surging inwards. I thought it was because the monitor was so much older than the tower. Soon the static got steadily worse, and I used it for about a day before it got to be too much.

I switched to Safe Mode with Networking on the hp monitor, to see what would happen, and it was fine! No static. Today, I switched back to my LCD monitor and put that into Safe Mode with Networking and no blinking on and off! I am very confused: Is this a monitor problem? Or a tower problem?

Any help MUCH appreciated! If I'm not giving enought to go on, I could search around and try to dig up more info? I can't do much in Safe Mode, though.

Thanks!
    -Rum :)

2. BG-0

BG-0

Video card is busted. When in safe mode, the video card's drivers are not loaded, so the card does not function at "full blast". It will not cause trouble because of that.
    Dell model would help finding a replacement, but it can well be assumed that there's a PCI-E 16x slot for add-on graphics. This would be a cheap replacement in that case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121302

This is all an assumption on the most propable cause. The problem could also be your power supply or motherboard, but those are pretty unlikely.

3. Rumcase

Rumcase Thread Starter

Ah! =) Thanks so much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813374