Solved: Monitor Problem...none?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

little den

This is more out of curiosity than anything else...
I was asked to look at a PC. They said that they wanted it reformatted and the same OS reinstalled (W98).
This was a message past on to me. Graphis card and memory was mentioned in the message but with no real detail (as the person that passed the message on and the owner of the PC no absoluely nothing about PC's - seriously).
I plugged the unit in, and connected everything as usual.
Now the problem I'm having is this:
When connected, the monitors power light flashes green for a second (indicating that it's in use) then back to orange.
With the green light comiing on, I'm assuming there is a signal.
My question is...does this person need a graphics card or is there something else I can try?
If I can't get the screen up, how can I check it?

Anybody know how to help?
Thanks
LD.

Does it load the opening screen (where it checks for IDE connections and memory, ect.) before loading windows or does it just flat out not work at all? I would try putting another vid card in there to see whether it is the graphics card or not. Also check to see if the video card is not one of those that needs a power connection from your PSU.

little den

Gripen40k said:
Does it load the opening screen (where it checks for IDE connections and memory, ect.) before loading windows or does it just flat out not work at all? I would try putting another vid card in there to see whether it is the graphics card or not. Also check to see if the video card is not one of those that needs a power connection from your PSU.
It does absolutely nothin'. It just stays black. Normally I woulda chucked another cid card in, but I don't have in stock at the mo'.
I was hopin to try and find another way.
I'll check the power though.

LD.

little den

Everythings where it should be.
Looks like a vid. card problem after all?
Any other ideas?
LD.

Well, I found a local fair ground where Gypsies were having a convention.

They all looked in their crystal balls but could not quite make out if it was a CRT or an LCD monitor either. My USB powered crystal ball failed to determine it as well.

It would have been nice to know though, as it could have given a clue as to it being a refresh rate issue where it was too high for an LCD screen and the monitor was saying "no thanks" until drivers became active that enabled it to display.

little den

kiwiguy said:
Well, I found a local fair ground where Gypsies were having a convention.

They all looked in their crystal balls but could not quite make out if it was a CRT or an LCD monitor either. My USB powered crystal ball failed to determine it as well.

It would have been nice to know though, as it could have given a clue as to it being a refresh rate issue where it was too high for an LCD screen and the monitor was saying "no thanks" until drivers became active that enabled it to display.
Hahaha...yeah. I forgot! :p
It's a regular CRT monitor. It's an older PC too (HP Pavillion 6511).
It was clogged with dust like you wouldn't believe so I'm guessing there was a heating problem as well (maybe).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online