1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor problem: on-off button is lit up, but the screen is blank (black)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poppykins1, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poppykins1

poppykins1 Thread Starter

Hello,
    My problem is that my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster205BW) 20in. diagonal, was displaying a horizontal stretched view. A day or so ago I changed my OS from Windows Vista to Windows XP. When running Visa the picture was very good indeed, and in proportion. Since using XP the display isn't correct with a stretched horizontal view and large print, fuzzy appearance etc. etc.. I looked in the Display/Settings/Advanced/Monitor...which gave 'Default monitor'as a label, (should this not have labelled it Samsung etc....?)and with Properties grayed out. The Adaptor tab brought up the Adaptor and the Tab List all modes, with one of these selected. I was looking at the Properties of this Adaptor, then Device usage at the bottom, with the selection of 'Use... or do not use...' and unfortunately I might have left it on the Do Not Use, closed the windows, shutdown and went to lunch, .... and now I have now operating screen. How can I get this back?
    At the time I was looking for the correct driver for using XP because I guess the operating driver at that time was for Vista
    I would be very grateful for any help.

2. 00trav

00trav

on boot up hit f8 to boot up in safe mode and then change your resolution back to something normal so you can see it on your monitor. then get the latest driver for your video card, those new wide screen monitors don't use normal resolutions that are in the default drivers for windows xp (especially if you haven't done updates).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice