1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tika4, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tika4

Tika4 Thread Starter

My monitor has had a problem lately that I didn't have previously. It's not a new monitor, in fact it's actually pretty old. It's a Dell monitor, but that's all I really know about it as it was a second-hand monitor purchased used from my mother's work. Anyway, what happens is that everything "freezes", then the monitor makes a "popping" noise, goes black for a second, then returns. Most of the time it's just annoying, but if I'm playing a game it completely freezes up the game and it happens a lot when playing Sims, to the point I don't play any longer. I read somewhere that the "refresh rate" could be set to low, but I tried to fix that and if I go any higher it screws up the graphics, plus I didn't have this problem for over a year and it just started out of nowhere. I did recently get a new computer and thought it might be a conflict with the video card or something, but after hooking it back up to my old computer it was still doing the same thing. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If it "freezes" the display, then it is not likely the monitor that is at fault, but the computer itself.

A monitor such as that has no ability to freeze an image, it displays in real time what it gets from the PC. Therefore the frozen image is coming from the PC.

Suspect adware/viruses/over temperature/etc.

3. Tika4

Tika4 Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwiguy! Okay, so now I know the problem lies with the computer, not the monitor. I was getting frustrated with everyone telling me it was the monitor and the refresh rate, now at least I have a real place to start looking for the problem. Thanks again!

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try dowloading and installing the latest updated driver for your Video card. Even if it is an onboard video system the driver may have become corrupt somehow.

5. winbob

winbob

Kiwi,

Did you miss this, "what happens is that everything "freezes", then the monitor makes a "popping" noise, goes black for a second, then returns."

It's the "popping noise" that says MONITOR to me.

Sounds like maybe a high voltage or capacitor problem????

The freezing is WEIRD, but the "popping noise" is not.

Might be time to put on a Flack Jacket!! :eek:

6. brite750

brite750

<<but after hooking it back up to my old computer it was still doing the same thing. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!>>
    how can it be the pc when it does it on another pc, its the monitor, put it to rest. R.I.P.

7. Cosmic

Cosmic

Ok, If I got this right, you hooked the monitor to two separate computers and it did the same thing. Duh, problem must be in the monitor, not the computer.

Sort of weird, you might not be seeing a "Freezing Event", more like a failure which appears to be as a frozen screen. Could be flyback related, would also explain the popping and blanking part. Normally in most problems like this you lose the picture total. Could be arcing and you get a momentary interruption of the drive but it appears to you the painted picture is still there.

Sounds like you have a new monitor in your future. Repair is not usually cost effective.

8. Tika4

Tika4 Thread Starter

Okay, point taken that it is probably the monitor since it happens on the old computer as well and previously did not. You're right that it might not be an actual "freeze", what it does is that for a few seconds before the "pop and black" nothing moves (cursor, etc.) and that could be an interrpution as you stated. After the "pop and black" it all comes back and I'm able to keep doing whatever I'm doing. Thanks for all the advice! Grrr, I desparately want a new monitor anyway, it's just that I'm trying to save up enough for a flat panel this time around. :)

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Noted, Winbob but some monitors have relays in them to switch resolutions.
    My assumption was that the "popping" may have been a relay click as the graphics reset.

Simply because the monitor cannot show a frozen display unless the computer has frozen the display, as we agree?

This is a problem that is hard to accurately define, as we cannot see the monitor actions.

10. winbob

winbob

Kiwi,

No problem with any of the above...but I'll still take a Flak Jacket please :eek:

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Since I originally responded, it seems clear now that it happens on two computers. I interpreted the original post as it being OK on the new PC, but bad on the old. Not the case now it seems, so full face helmet and flack jacket is the order of the day!

Simply put, if it happens on both PC's it has never been an argument and the monitor should not be used any longer. It should be replaced.

Still puzzled by the "freeze" though, as the phosphor persist time is milliseconds and would not show any "frozen image". Typical time is 0.05 - 0.1 seconds. There is no cached image memory in a monitor.

12. Tika4

Tika4 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help! I should point out, which I only now just realized, the "freeze" only occurs if I'm browsing around on a webpage. If I'm playing a game or doing anything that's not with the Internet it doesn't "freeze". I'm working right now, but when my shift is done I'm running over to my parents as they have a monitor I can use temporarily until I can purchase a new one. Will let you know if that fixes the problem this evening. I'm having so many computer problems right now it would sure be nice to have at least one of them solved! :confused: Thanks again everyone!

13. Tika4

Tika4 Thread Starter

Belive it or not, this issue is still not solved. :( As stated, the popping noise, black screen and then return happened on both my old computer and my new computer. I switched monitors, using the one I use for my job which works fine. It still did the pop, black screen, return - and sometimes just shut down completely. I'm back to my old monitor and whenever I am playing the Sims it will randomly shut down the game. When I'm on the Internet it freezes, blacks out and then comes back. I'm out of ideas, I would think if it actually were the monitor the thing would have given up the ghost completely by now. :( Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

14. Tika4

Tika4 Thread Starter

I believe *all* of my computer problems have been due to the PE_Parite A virus that I had, but did not discover until I installed PC-Cillin. Reinstalling Windows tomorrow morning and hopefully all issues will be resolved. :) Thanks for all your help, if this doesn't do it I will post a new thread.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice