1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dojoman, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

I was working on my PC and I left it alone while I made a drink, when I came back to it the screen had gone black and the cursor was blinking in the left hand corner. I tried to reboot it but the monitor keeps saying that the lead is not connected and is not receiving a signal? Canyone please help me.:confused:

2. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

Update, have managed to borrow another monitor and this will not work either, so it looks like the monitor is not the problem!

Any help much appreciated...

3. norton850

norton850

Do you have a separate video card or onboard video? If a separate card, shut down, unplug, take out the card, put it back in and reattach the cable.

Edit: Do the same with the RAM.

4. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

It is an onboard video, not a seperate card, is there anything I can do to rectify the problem?

5. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

Is it possible to install a new graphics card along with the onbard one, I am unable to see anything at the moment so I would be able to get into the bios to dusable the onboard one before installing the new one? Any advice appreciated, getting really desperate now:eek:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look closely at the large capacitors around the processor. If any of them are bulging or leaking, you have found your problem. :)

7. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

I have looked at them and they are not bulging or leaking..

8. norton850

norton850

Did you check the RAM?

9. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

Yes I tried a module from my sons pc and it still would not work.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK, time to get serious. :D

Remove ALL the cards and memory modules, unconnect all the drive cables. Make sure the speaker is connected, nothing else. Turn on the machine, you should get at least some error beeps. If not, it appears you have a P/S, MB, or processor problem. I'd eliminate them in that order, since that's usually the likelihood of failure.

If you get some beeps, probably a long beep indicating memory failure, try installing just the memory modules, and fire it up again. This time you should get three beeps if it recognizes the memory. Then, you install the video card, connect the monitor, and try it again. Keep adding stuff until you find where it fails...

11. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

It is an onboard video card, so I cannot disconnect that. I have done the other things but I am still at a loss, I have tried different memory modules from my sons pc (the one I am using now) so I know it is not a memory problem. What I need to know is can I connect a separate graphics card or not or is my pc totally shot at. Whatever I do I cannot get anything from my current onboard card.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried another power supply yet?

But if its just the integrated graphics part of the board that has failed then it would be possible to add in a seperate video card, either an AGP card if you have an AGP slot or if not then you could add in a PCI video card. But since the graphics are intergrated into the northbridge chip I would be replacing the board instead of putting a band-aid on a problem that could be much larger. Usually its not that simple and several components on the motherboard have failed and it simply need s to be replaced.

13. dojoman

dojoman Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I have tried another power supply but again with no signal going to the monitor. I would like to install a separate card just so I could back up my hard drives. If I am unable to do this would it mean me losing all my info that is currently stored on my pc or is there a way to retrieve it?

Thanks for your help anyway.

This what it says about the onboard vga

Integrated ATI Radeon 9200 graphic core.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, you just take your hard drives, put them into another computer, and copy off the data you want.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice