1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by L Henry, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

My computer and monitor have worked properly for five years, however, now
    during boot up (and thereafter), the monitor is on 10-15 seconds and then the screen goes black. Turn off the monitor and then turn it back on again and the image is ok for 10-15 seconds then off again. Cycle of a black and normal screen image repeats with each toggle of the on/off switch. Without the on/off toggle the monitor remains black.

An old CRT monitor when hooked up to the computer produces and maintains a proper image.

I would like to verify that the LCD monitor listed below is bad, and not other issues causing the problem, prior to purchase of new one.

Monitor: KDS LCD Model K917s
    Computer: Dell 4500
    Ram: 1G

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When the monitor goes black, shine a bright flashlight at the screen. Do you see a faint image oon the monitor. My first LCD monitor was a KDS it only lasted me about 2 months longerr than the Warranty. But what went on it was the back light and the price to repair was at the time more than the cost of the monitor. BTW KDS monitors are not really high quality but when they work they do pretty good.

3. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

A faint image does not show when a bright light is shined on the screen.

If it is established that it is the monitor, I do not plan to have it repaired.

If the old CRT monitor works properly, may I assume it's the KDS monitor and not the computer?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    one last thing did you use the same VGA cord for the CRT monitor as you were using for the LCD monitor? If so then I would say that yes it is probably a bad monitor. If not you can try a different cord.

5. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

The VGA cord on the KDS LCD is a permanent wired connection. There appears to be no way to try a different cord.

In that the old CTR monitor works, does it still appear to be a bad KDS monitor? I realize that only hooking up a new LCD will be the proof. Just trying to eliminate as many possibilities as I can prior to purchasing a new monitor.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would say yes it is an LCD monitoor gone bad. There are some very good deals available on new LCD monitors. You could even go a little larger on the screen size. Price would be determined by the size and manufacturer you would choose.

7. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Your help has been most valuable.

I'll mark this Thread solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice