1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor problems after clean reinstall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 48x, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 48x

48x Thread Starter

I did a clean reinstall of windows XP Pro on Dell dimension 4600. Now my monitor has no adjustments, icon to large, can not adjust resolution or DPI. Go to control panel/apperarances&themes/display/settings, the properties button is not active. Monitor is Dell 1703FP color monitor. I am stumped. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Simba7

Simba7

Did you install the chipset and display drivers?

Also, what is the video card?

3. 48x

48x Thread Starter

No, I tried the dell cd's but I do not see any drivers on them to install.
    Drivers and Utilities CD/dell resource CD on face of CD list contents: Device drivers,Diagnostics and utilities,Computer documentation. I see no Drivers on this CD to Install when I run it.
    The Dell color monitor CD on the face of the CD list contents: HTML User Documentation, Drivers(INF, ICM, and CAT files) when I run CD all it has on it is a user guide. I promise you I see no Drivers at all to install.
    Then I have an Application CD/ contents:Ativirus software,Support software,Multimedia software, and Internet software. and these are just files to extract. Do I need any of the contents of this Cd?
    I am kind of lost here, but any help is greatly appreciated! I am not knolledgable about chipset.
    The Drivers and Utilities CD I have to boot to CD and when I run it I have six choices 1-Run graphics adapter advanced diagnostics,2-Run 32 bit dell diagnostics, 3-Run Nic configuration utility/diag., 4-Create SATA RAID driver diskete, 5-Exit BIOS, 6-Reboot the system and thats it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is the support page for your system;
    http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/dimension-4600

Download the chipset drivers and install. Reboot when prompted. Now install the video driver and reboot when prompted. Do this for all of the drivers you need ie lan, sound, etc. When you are finished, go to windows update and install all critical updates. Repeat until there are no more updates to install.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW most of those dell support disks are auto run. You simply insert the disk and it should start loading the drivers you need.

FWIW when you do an install, it is best to do a little planing prior to beginning the task. Download all of the drivers you are going to need, download any patches, service packs, and utilities [ccleaner, anti-virus, etc, etc] Put these on a flash drive, external, second internal drive, etc. It makes the install go much easier when you have all of the drivers you need in one place.

6. 48x

48x Thread Starter

Thankyou! crjdriver for the info. I will give it a try

7. 48x

48x Thread Starter

crjdriver, I did what you said and it fixed my monitor. You are the coolest, Thanks a Million!!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. You can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the top of the page. I will mark this one solved for you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice