1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor problems, newb here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kyle13um, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyle13um

kyle13um Thread Starter

I have my pc hooked up to my television. My past set-up has been a DVI(pc end) to HDMI (TV end) cable and audio cables running from the pc to the surround sound receiver. This set up works fine, but I re-built my pc with a new motherboard, cpu, etc. and my new motherboard has HDMI output. I'd like to run HDMI(pc) to HDMI (TV) cable so the sound and video are all in one, and I'm getting digital audio instead of analog. However, my computer won't recognize any video peripherals that I plug into the motherboard, only those plugged into the video card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Kyle

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you are trying to use the onboard graphics AND a video card? If so you have to check if the motherboard allows you to have both enabled, you'd have to check the BIOS setup for what options it gives for managing the video.

Do you also use two sets of speakers? If not then you only need the one HDMI connection that will carry audio. Also be aware that not all HDMI outputs on motherboards, and video cards for that matter, carry audio.

3. kyle13um

kyle13um Thread Starter

I would like to just use the video out on my motherboard, though I'm not sure if it has audio pass through or not. I don't need to use the video out on the video card, but right now that's all that works. I went through the BIOS settings and didn't see anything obvious about changing from video card video out to motherboard video out. I must admit that BIOS tinkering makes me a little nervous and I likely could have missed something. Is that likely the issue? Or did I not hook something up correctly when I changed the motherboard? All of the other motherboard peripherals seem to function fine, but again, I'm kind of a newb with this stuff. Thank you very much for your response.
    Kyle

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are not using the video card, take it out.
    Otherwise the BIOS is where you'd need to enable the onboard video.

5. kyle13um

kyle13um Thread Starter

So if I remove my video card, it will just route the video out through the motherboard? Do I only need a video card for video out? Should I remove my small (512MB) video card, route through the mother board, and get an HDMI with audio pass through video card later?

This is probably just an issue with my lack of knowledge about GPUs.

Will my performance decrease without a GPU?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The onboard video is not likely as good as the card you have, but then again you haven't posted any specs on your computer so its hard to say.

The purpose of having a video card is to add more outputs, features, or increase performance. However it does nothing if you you do not connect the monitors to it. If you are not using it then its not doing anything.

7. kyle13um

kyle13um Thread Starter

Alright, I'll try removing the video card and trying video through the motherboard. I'll spring for a good video card later with HDMI audio output and more than 512 MB. Thank you for your help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice