1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: monitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valis, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

Hello, at work they were having a yard sale and chucking all sorts of goodies. I got a newish dell p1110, but it came with the RGB colors all out of whack, which, I'm pretty sure, is why it was in the chuck pile. Tested it at the office, works fine, brought it home, works fine, got the colors approximately 'good', but I personally do not know enough about certain features of this monitor in order to tweak it to where it should be.

When I am activating the monitor programs (by pressing the keys on the monitor, as opposed to going to the display properties), I get an area that has both bias and gain for r, g, and b. It's a trinitron monitor as well. I'm curious if there is an easy preset to get to the rough equivalent of factory default, or just start twiddling knobs and see what happens.

thanks,

v

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you sure that degaussing isn't part of the problem? I've had several monitors that I couldn't beat into submission without an external degaussing coil.

3. valis

Thanks, John......the monitor was in storage along with about 30 others, and there was a large greenish tint that I am assuming was caused by the proximity of another magnet.....degaussing took care of that, but not this.....

I've googled it, and it seems to be a fairly common issue in that the black isn't a true 'black'; more of a really really dark gray. I've got it working PRETTY good, but still no close to where I would like it to look. I've checked the games, and those all look fine; it appears to be a setting in the 6500 or the trinitron areas, but I haven't gotten it quite narrowed down yet.

It's not fatal by any stretch of the imagination, nor does it cause eye strain nor headaches; it's just that the colors all look, well, 'washed' comes to mind.

4. steveb1492

steveb1492

No clue about that monitor, but what if you tried going to some screen (on my crt's its 'color select' and 'color control') and pick 9300K or 6500K? That should so something at least (maybe?).

5. valis

yeah, I'm working with those. Oddly enough, I seem to get better results at the 6500 settings than at the trinitron setting, which, to me at least, seems rather counter-intuitive. But I an nowhere near a monitor type of guy; something tells me though, in a few months, I will know more about these than I ever cared to. ;)

6. steveb1492

steveb1492

What type of video card do you have? Some have color adjustment wizard things. Nvidia has the 'display optimization wizard' for their somewhat newer cards at least.

7. valis

radeon 9550.....pretty sure that it's a monitor issue, as this was in the 'chuck it' pile, and as I mentioned, it works fine, it's just that all the colors look washed out.....

8. valis

got it fixed by twiddling (yes, that is the technical term for it) with the monitor settings in conjunction with the gamma on the ati card itself.

Not a bad price for a 21" flat panel.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice