Solved: Monitor Resolution

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mrshiver10

Last night i was forced to reinstall windows on my computer and when my computer was finished and fully rebooted everything on my screen appeared larger. The computer detected this and tried to autocorrect itself but failed. I tried to go and fix the resolution using the properties/settings/screen resolution on my desktop but it wont let me change the resolution to anything other than 640x480. I also tried looking to my computers support for help but it left me at a dead end. I just want everything to be standard sized again. If you know what I'm talking about, and can help it would be truly appreciated. I always come here for computer advice (though i rarely have computer problems) because the people here are brilliant. Thank you so much in advanced. If you're unable to help, thank you for just reading this. :D

This is because when you reinstalled Windows, you got rid of everything, including your graphics card drivers.

Without the drivers, your PC can't go beyond 640x480 resolution. This does not have to do with your monitor at all.

You need to go to your graphics card manufacturer's website to download and install the latest video drivers. If you don't know the manufacturer, use Device Manager.
To get to Device Manager, go to Start > Control Panel > System > [Hardware] > Device Manager.

Yep, Eriksrocks hit the nail on the head. Once you update your drivers for your card, you'll be able to choose whatever resolution you'd like.

If you do not know how to install the drivers, it's pretty straightforward. Since this is a fresh reinstall and you don't have any pre-existing software on your computer (I assume, since you probably formatted), you can go ahead and download the .exe for the drivers and run it.

If you're trying to download ATI Catalyst drivers, make sure you go to Windows Update first and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 prior to installing the drivers. The Catalyst Control Centre requires that to be installed first.

If you do have an ATI card, I'd personally reccommend the Cat 5.11s, seem pretty stable. The latest isn't always the greatest, folks.

Mrshiver10

Im officially confused. I'm pretty much a resolution idiot, if that makes any sense.
Here's what I know:
I have a dell monitor. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what model.
From there I am lost. I'm sorry to be such a pain in the butt, but as far as drivers go, I'm totally lost.

**Dell gives me instructions as to how to install these drivers, however when I go to do as it says it wont let me. It tells me to do this:
1. Click Start--> Settings--> Control Panel and then double-click
Display.
2. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab, and
then click Advanced.
3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click Properties--> Driver-->
Update Driver.

But the Properties button wont let me click it.

Mrshiver10

I lied. You guys are awesome. You helped me fix it. I appreciate that so much. Thank you. :-D you guys are amazing. :D

So did you fix it? Did you update the drivers for your card?

If you did and everything is working, you can mark this thread "Solved" from the thread tools list.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online