1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Monitor settings will not work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dianne55, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

After installing a new hard drive in my computer and reloading Windows 98 I am having several driver problems etc. The one that I need to address first is my monitor. When I go to Display in the control panel and click on settings, I only have a choice of 2 colors or 16 colors. The other choices are not there. Also the Pixels cannot be changed. It is not a problem of something not being plugged in right, because I can put my old hard drive back into the computer and everything works right. Can you tell me what I need to do to get these additional settings to work. I need to make some adjustments to the pixels to get one of my software programs to work. It could possibly be something to do with an interrupt problem because I had to change the interrupt on a network adapter in order to get the network to work.

2. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Did you reload the drivers for the video card?

3. brianF

brianF

It's probably your video card. You need to reinstall the video drivers. It's using windows generic's now that's why it's like that.

Do you have the installation cd that came with the video card, if so run that and load the drivers.

If not, do you know the make and model of video card in your machine.

4. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I couldn't find my own drivers but I went on line to driverzone.com and found the driver for my video card and also for the sound card. Now I have everything working right except my modem. I have the driver for it. It is an Actiontec PCI modem. Last week after several tries I somehow got it installed, but now it's not working again. It quit working before I installed these other drivers so I don't think that had anything to do with it. It is supposed to be on Com 4. At least that is where it was on my other hard drive. When I try to reinstall, the computer only seems to be searching on Com 1 and Com2. I know my modem is ok, because I can put my old hard drive in and it works. Any suggestions on this?

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Try disabling one of the com ports in hardware manager, then installing the modem to that com port. It sounds like there might be a hardware conflict, or at the very least a resource conflict. If it was on com 4 on the old setup, it might have been a forced install.

6. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

Could you tell me how to disable a com port in hardware manager and do you mean to physically unplug the modem and plug it in somewhere else?

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You will not have to physically unplug the modem.

Will the modem install, but just not work? You might could try setting it to com port 4 manually. Right click on my computer and select properties. Go to the device manager tab, and find the modem. After you open up the modem section, it should have your modem listed. Right click it and you can get to the properties. There are usually 3 tabs at the top, you will want the one that says resources. In here you should be able to manually change the modem to com 4.

To disable the com ports, open up the hardware manager by right clicking the my computer icon and choosing properties and choosing the device manager. Down toward the bottom of the page will be a listing for ports. Open this up and click on one of the com ports, right click it and go to properties. There is an option there to disable the com port in this hardware profile. Usually there are only two listed.

I hope this helps.

8. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

Today I finally got my modem to install and work. I went to Actiontec's website and under their FAQs there was instructions of what to do if you had trouble with a 2nd install when you had not had trouble the first time. It told you to go to device manager and remove the modems and then there were some other files that you had to delete. After I did all of that, I restarted my computer and it found my modem right away and installed perfectly.

By the way, I got myself into a big pickle yesterday trying to disable one of the com ports. I guess I should have given it a little more thought before I did it. I disabled Com 2 and then my mouse quit working. Evidently it was on Com 2. I kept trying to get back into the ports setting in device manager using my keyboard and I was almost in a panic. When I finally got there, it was no longer showing up for me to enable it again. Eventually I thought to try going into Bios and figured out how to get com 2 enabled from there and working. Then I had to reinstall my mouse driver.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice