1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor Shadows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itssandy007, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itssandy007

itssandy007 Thread Starter

I use a Gateway EV700 monitor. Within the last 4 days there are shadows across my monitor screen. I have downloaded new drivers and talked to the tech support at gateway. The monitor is not quite a year and a half old. Does anyone have any suggestions? The shadows appear in each program if there is something on the screen, ie text, graphics etc. If it is just a plain/blank section it is visually clear.

Thanks for hints.

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

This probably isn't the best place for this question,
    you probably should post it in the "Hardware" forum,
    and attach a screenshot if you can (if the problem
    shows up on one).

Cheers, Mac :)

3. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

itssandy007.....Try cleaning the monitor the same way DARK STAR cleans his mouse....soak it in soapy water then blow dry it.. ;)

4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Hmmm... in fact, if the problem doesn't show
    up on a screen shot, it's probably your monitor...

AND IGNORE JEWISH HERITAGE!

5. itssandy007

Hey Jewish Heritage - thanks for the help. A little dawn did the trick "It sparkles"!

MacFromOk - Thanks for the input. I might just post it with a screen shot. Thanks again!

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Moving this to the hardware forum.

7. deuce

deuce

Well, welcome to TSG anyway... the people here are great... mostly. ;)

I think this might not be actual advice, but I have had similar problems with the moniter on the computer in the kitchen. (I mention this because it is always left on, and not used a whole lot... and someone keeps messing with the screen saver settings so images get burned in the moniter a lot.) Well anyway all of a sudden the resolution became really terrible and you couldn't read things in 14pt font and there were "shadows" of faint smudges, but now miraculously everything is fine and dandy now. (I didn't do anything to it, and now else at my house would know how to fix it) If I find out who fixed it, I'll come back here... it might help your problem.

8. Dark Star

Dark Star

itssandy007,

The key words in your post are "less than a year old" and the nice thing about that is simply that your monitor is still under warranty

That is like music to the ears, just tell them that it's broke (however you want to word it) and they should be giving you an "RTA#" (return goods authorization)
    .......you should do this before the one year is up so that it will be repaired or replaced under warranty.

here is a little FYI for you they do not repair anything.....they will send you a new monitor, and best chances have it that in the almost one year you've had this monitor they have come out with a newer stile ,so you will get a newer style as well.

I'm glad you knew JewisHeritage was just joking with you, we do that here sometimes it keeps things light.......although he's probably still mad at me cause I told him to wash his mouse with soap and water ........and I guess he did. :rolleyes:

Please let us know what happens when you contact Gateway about the Warranty on your monitor.

DS

9. itssandy007

I am going to contact Gateway and see what happens, I'll let ya know. This is the greatest site. Quick response times is the best.

I have slightly above basic knowledge of computing, so I know (most of the time) when someone is joking! Believe me, I'm getting ready to be laid off - I need all the laughter I can get - keep it coming:p

10. itssandy007

Here is a shot of my desktop and what the shadows are. Should I contact Gateway or is this something anyone out there knows how to fix. Thanks:p

11. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

It's possible you have your refresh rate set to high. Try lowering it. If that doesn't work, definitely call Gateway. There's no sense in wasting a lot of time troubleshooting if Gateway is going to simply replace the monitor.

12. nstzlog

nstzlog

I had the same problem occur a few days ago. I tried my monitor on another computer and the problem resolved. When I tried another monitor on my computer the streaking appeared on that monitor. Today the streaking disappeared for about an hour, then it reappeared. If you find out how to solve this problem please post the solution. I will do the same. Unfortunately, my monitor is 2 years old.

13. deuce

deuce

Ya know, if your moniter is still under warranty, I say you should just not bother with fixing it yourself, and let Gateway replace it. Who knows, in 3 months you might have an unrepairable (home maintence) problem and your warrenty will be up so you know what creek you'll be up without a paddle. This way, if you replace it now, you will have a lot longer time of knowing you won't have problems to deal with as far as your moniter goes.

14. itssandy007

I will contact Gateway. Thanks for all your input. Once the problem is solved - I will post the results. Have a great Thanksgiving!!

15. Dark Star

Dark Star

Okay, you be sure to have a great Thanksgiving also and let us know what the people at Gateway say.

......sorry to hear about your job, I just met the same fate with mine. We'll be alright it's just a bump in the road hang in there and do not loose your sence of humor.

DS

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice