1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor Showing different color Lines and more

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdhernandez88, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdhernandez88

jdhernandez88 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums and recently bought parts to build my very first computer. So i rarely have any knowledge about this whole thing other then putting it together and installing the softwares. (Built April 28 Thursday, not to long ago)

Now as for the problem I am having is after installing all the drives and such my monitor suddenly show pink (sometimes green or gray) horizontal lines or vertical lines across the whole screen. At first i thought i connected something wrong but everything was connected firmly and correctly. Then a few more times (so far 3 times) it happend again, all within 1hr of turning it on. For some reason if im playing games or, watching videos/movies nothing occurs (Have not tried more then 3hrs).
    Also when my monitor does change I am able to move the mouse but i cant click on anything (USB Mouse).

Here are my computer specs:
    ASUS P7H55-M PRO Intel i3 i5 H55 1156 Motherboard
    MSI GeForce GTS 250 Twin Frozr 1GB OC GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS
    Windows 7 64bit
    LG W2240T 21.5 Monitor
    630W Raidmax PSU

Thats pretty much what i beleive that should matter. Oh and another thing I bought all my parts 1 week berfore putting it together, so everything is completely new.

Some test that ill be doing is if it happens on another monitor and stuff. Anyways, if anyone can help that would be really great.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Could be a one of a few things really.

Graphics card may not be getting the power it needs.
    The card may be faulty, just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be broken :)
    Are all your drivers fully up to date and all preferably 64bit drivers.
    What RAM aer you using and how much?
    What temperatur is the system running at?

Download HWmonitor to check / monitor system temps: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    You could also download Furmark to stress test the GPU: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If you run Furmark, I would also run HWMonitor at the same time to keep an eye on the temperatures.

3. jdhernandez88

Thank you for helping me.

I doubt its the power supply, My GPU requires a system requirement of 450W on a 12v rail with 24amp, the PSU im using is 630w 12v1, 12v2 each with 22amp. 44 amps right?

As for the RAM im using a corsair 4gb ram (2x2)

Ill check the temps later today when i get back from work.

Thank you again

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you GPU states it needs 450W PSU with 24amp on 12v rail then your PSU is definately under powered. You can not combine the amps from different 12v rails to give a total, the requirement stated by the GPU must be on 1 rail. This is because your GPU needs 22 amps to run but no component can draw power from more than 1 rail, it will take what it needs from one or the other.

Personally I would always go for PSU from a well known, high quality manufacturer like Corsair or OCZ (there are others, these are just examples). The PSU is a very important part of the system which is often overlooked.

e.g.

Corsair 450w PSU with 1 12v rail @ 33amps
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=corsair 450w psu

OCZ 550w PSU with 2 12v rails each at 25amps
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012&cm_re=17-341-_-17-341-012-_-Product

I would also suggest going above the minimum by a bit for the Wattage aswell, this just gives you a bit of room for expansion and ensures the PSU isn't working at it's limit all the time.

5. jdhernandez88

The GPU doesn't say it NEEDS 450w 12v 24a, it stats its the "System Minimum Requirement" Of course that what I did with the help of the employees that help gather all the parts i wanted.

Anyways, I was able to talk to a friends "I.T." Uncle and said it was either the motherboard or GPU, just as you stated. With that i was able to exchange the two free of charge, now everything is working smoothly, i hope.

Thanks for helping me understand a bit more. i appreciate it.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    No problem, at least you got it fixed.

I would still strongly advice replacing the PSU though. The 'Minimum System Requirements' for the GPU are the recommended levels power it will require, on a single 12v rail, from your power supply, yours doesn't provide enough amps but the card will still try to draw what it needs.

This will put extra stress on the power supply which could cause it to overheat / burn out fairly quickly, it could cause power fluctuations across your system which may cause problem or even totally break components.

7. jdhernandez88

Ok so i installed the new gpu/motherboard and also did the stress test for 20min and my gpu read a Max of 78C, idle after the test drop to 38C

Thats pretty normal im guessing?

Man im learning alot from this site haha

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    78C under load with 38C idle seems pretty OK to me, thats only slightly warmer (5C or so) than my 8800GT and I have an aftermarket cooler / fan on mine.

What did you use to do the stress test? Was it the NVidia software?
    For future use, I would recommend Furmark, its a great tool for stressing the GPU.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

and HWMonitor is a good temp monitoring program. I prefer it as it records the max and min temps achieved as well as the actual temp at any given time. Very useful if you are trying to monitor temps while gaming as the GPU cools very quickly when you take the load off.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

9. jdhernandez88

Those are the two that I download from your previous post.

Thanks for everything.

10. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    haha, didn't even realise I had double posted them, probably meant to reply to another thread but did this one again accidently.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice