1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MONITOR turns off even when CPU is running

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sdm4, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdm4

sdm4 Thread Starter

hai,

i am facing a unique problem. I recently installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on my pc. the pc runs normally for about 30 to 45 mins. but later monitor turns off with a "no signal" indication. but when i check, the processor is still running. then to get the signal back again, i must restart my system. then after boot up, i get the message saying windows was not shut down properly. i am not able to understand what is creating the problem. is the problem with hardware. or with windows 7. i never faced such kind of problem before when i was using windows xp SP3. somebody please help me.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP has little to do with Windows 7. They are different operating systems.

Have you checked the power options for when the monitor turns off?

Do you have a screensaver selected and does it work?

Does your monitor itself have any settings for idle inactivity?

3. sdm4

sdm4 Thread Starter

thank you for the reply.

i am not using any screen saver. i not even changed any settings either in control panel or in the monitor. i am using AOC monitor. according to my knowledge i have not used any settings to keep monitor into idle state. can OS create a problem in this issue. or any hardware problem..? please reply

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Settings sometimes change for reasons unknown. Did you check the Power Options?

5. ttifrum

ttifrum

check 'choose when to turn off monitor' in power options in control panel. Windows 7 defaults to turn off monitor and put PC to sleep after approx 10mins for the monitor and 30 mins to sleep, set these to something more appropriate for your needs.

6. sdm4

sdm4 Thread Starter

thank you for the tips. i changed the settings in the power management and have overcome the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice