1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Davie, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davie

Davie Thread Starter

Friend recently moved computer and when everything was reconnected the monitor stayed orange says he banged computer on moving it when power is on computer makes all the right nosises but nothing happens on monitor no boot up sequence nothing he has on board graphics is it possible he has damaged the connection on moving,there are no fault beeps and his motherboard(make un-known sorry) only has pci slots my graphics card is agp so un-able to test it what should be his first trial a graphics card? or do you think it is something more sinister any help would be appreciated thanks guys.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check to be sure he's reconnected the monitor tightly......and you might pop it open and take a look, it could be a VGA extension card built into the motherboard and he may have jarred it loose.

3. Davie

Davie Thread Starter

Tried both of these do you agree that it appears to be a graphics fault cheapest option may be a new pci graphics card ? thanks for your help

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Davie
    If you are getting no boot up sequences, then something inside is probably loose. If the unit is not under warranty just unplug the computer, open it up and reseat everything inside. (be sure to touch the case frame to ground yourself. It might be a good idea to buy a can of air and blow out the computer while you have it open.

5. ~Candy~

I agree with Lurker, it could be something else inside as well.....while you have it open, you may as well test everything.

6. Davie

Davie Thread Starter

Computer in front of me right now all leads and connections are in tact but not working with my monitor so does seem to be the graphics connection?

7. ~Candy~

You have YOUR monitor connected now and it still doesn't work?

Did you try pulling the ram and cpu and reseating them?

8. Davie

Davie Thread Starter

tried the ram but cpu is buried under a huge heat sink do you think it could be the graphics or am i way off the mark?

9. ~Candy~

It could be, but I find it pretty hard to believe that it would be damaged that easily.

If you have more than one ram chip, try pulling the others out.....what you might do with the cpu is try pressing on it gently to be sure it didn't wiggle a little loose. Also, check the power supply connector to the motherboard.

10. Davie

Davie Thread Starter

Thanks tried the ram and power supply still nothing any other suggestions

11. ~Candy~

My last suggestion would be to pull everything that isn't necessary, modem card, nic card, disconnect cdrom, try booting to the floppy drive.....is that light coming on?

12. Davie

Davie Thread Starter

THANKS GUYS MANAGED TO FIX THE PROBLEM BY RESEATING THE CELERON PROCESSOR AND INSTALLING NEW GRAPHICS CARD(ON BOARD GRAPHICS KNACKERED) AND PROCESSOR LOOSE SO THE COMBINATION OF BOTH WAS THE PROBLEM THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice