Solved: Most Frequently Used Progams list missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dvdguy

Hi

I had a problem the other day with my wife's PC running Windows Media Centre. The "Most Frequently Used Progams" list on the Start Menu disappeared. So I did some googling and the most common results came down to these two registy values"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Neither key contains NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList or NoInstrumentation which might cause the list to disappear.

I checked my XP-SP2 machine and it also did not contain NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList or NoInstrumentation. However my list works fine. So there is something else causing this malfunction. I run scans on her computer on a regular basis with the F-Secure package and it says her machine is clean. Also HiJackThis shows no programs or processes that don't belong.

I went into the Start Menu properties and saw that the menu list was set to 6 items. I did a clear list but this still doesn't show any entries on the Most Frequently Used Progams list.

So I tried searching my registry for a program, I picked WinRar, hoping I could spot where in the registry it appears so as to be included in the Most Frequently Used Progams list. No luck. So where does the registry store the values for the MFUP list?

Thanks

dvdguy

Hi Tufenuf

Thanks for the quick reply. Okay so even those registry values aren't there, I'll run the mfuprograms.reg script to force the behaviour I want. However I believe there is a error in the script:

mfuprograms.reg - Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_MinMFU"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000000

To me entries 1 & 3 are identical so I will change one of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and run the script and see what happens.

EDIT UPDATE:

Entered the corrected REG file, rebooted the wife's machine and we ARE GOOD TO GO!

Thanks Tufenuf!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts