1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: mother board died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vunivasa, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vunivasa

vunivasa Thread Starter

I am asking this on behalf of my friend who's mother board was fried. We took the tower into the techs and they said that it would not be worth fixing. We had them remove the hard drive which was strange to me as it was in a case inside of the tower. We proceeded to have the drive set up with a USB conneciton. I was instructed to treat it like any external memory and it would work like it used to. A new computer was purchased with windows 7. Original operating system was windows vista.

Question is: Some of the files are there. None of the operating programs and if we try to access the files there is nothing to open. Pictures and music are showing as there but cannot be opened. I am not a complete novice but I am at a loss this time. :confused:

Maybe I need a lesson on how a file works with the programs etc.
    Hope someone can clear the dust.

2. arknorth

arknorth

Remember that PROGRAMS have to be on the main drive of the computer, and only files will be accessible from that now external drive. So if the files you are attempting to open are only viewable by a certain program, you need to reload that program onto the C: drive in the computer.

A-N

3. Megabite

Megabite

So have you hook the old Hard drive to the new PC using USB?

4. vunivasa

vunivasa Thread Starter

Yes to Megabite. We plugged the hard drive into the usb port and it shows. We can open some of the files and after many ways of searching were able to locate some of the pictures. The techs told us that this was the hard drive of the old computer and just needed to be plugged in.

5. arknorth

arknorth

And saved files will be the only thing you'll be able to open - any programs that are still there won't work because they aren't on the C: drive, and will need to be installed - For example, if you had MS Word on the old hard drive, you won't be able to open it there, but once you've installed it on the new computer, you will be able to open the old saved files over on the old hard drive using it. Same goes for any photo editing program you may have had, since, as noted, programs HAVE to be on the main boot disk, which is the new hard drive in your new computer.

Now, if you have any downloaded music, you might have issues playing those, as some music get loaded with licenses that are computer-specific (they encode themselves to the machine that loaded them), which means they might not like your new computer. That shouldn't be a problem for any regular MP3 file though.

A-N

6. vunivasa

vunivasa Thread Starter

This all makes sense to me. I had an idea that this is how it all worked but needed to be reassured. If I understand it I should be able to click on the file on the old drive and as long as the program that runs it is on the new computer's c drive it should open?

7. arknorth

arknorth

Correct. ;)

A-N

8. vunivasa

vunivasa Thread Starter

Thankyou for the lesson and I will see if I can explain this to him. I will say I have found this site a help each time I have needed an answer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!