1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: mother board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drafter, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

i have an asus p5a mother board with win 98se and 2 USB ports and I am trying to install a hp5150 printer. My printer is USB. I go to device manager and there is no USB drivers there. Can someone tell me how to install USB drivers for this mother board so I can get my printer working.

thanx

2. steppenwolf

steppenwolf

probbaly in control panel add new hardware

plug it in first

3. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

You might have to enable the USB ports in the BIOS and then Windows will auto detect them, but I'm not sure. One thing I do know is that there are no USB drivers for that board on Asus' website.

4. sammysosa

sammysosa

I gave away my P5A system several years ago (late 1999); it was a good stable board, and the family I donated the computer to still uses it as their basic e-mail, Solitaire, and Minesweeper system.

FWIW, the USB drivers for that ALi chipset are embedded into the Win98 installation files, which is why there are none available for download on the Asus website.

To activate your USB ports, you'll have to enter the CMOS Setup Utility (press DEL during bootup) and find the "PnP / PCI Setup" section. On the right side of the screen, you'll see the "USB FUNCTION" options to ENABLE or DISABLE the USB ports; set the "USB FUNCTION" option to ENABLE.

Next, set the "USB IRQ" listing to "AUTO"; the system will provide an IRQ for any USB device you install from whichever ones are available.

Before you exit that section, make sure the first option on the left side of the divider ("PnP OS Installed") is set to NO. Many people make the mistake of setting this to YES, which slows the bootup time and allows Windows to handle system resource assignments, which it isn't very good at doing. Setting that option to NO allows the system CMOS to assign resources during bootup, which reduces the amount of damage Windows can do when juggling the resources. Windows is fine if you need to "tweak" a setting, but other than that, you'll have a much more stable system, which boots quicker, if you allow the CMOS to handle the grunt work at bootup; that will help to keep Windows out of the loop as much as possible.

You might need the Win98 CD to install the USB drivers, if you don't already have the complete set of installation files (including the 77 .CAB files) stored on the HDD, so keep it handy.

After you set those options, remember to save your settings on exit; the system will reboot. The USB ports should be found by the Hardware Wizard during bootup; you'll need the CD-ROM (or the .CAB files) to provide the Win98SE drivers to complete the installation of the USB hub and controllers.

The system will probably reboot again; when it gets back to the Desktop, plug the HP printer into the TOP USB port (on the back of the system, next to the mouse and keyboard ports). The top port is USB 1, and the bottom is USB 2; it shouldn't make a difference which port you use, but if one port seems flaky or unstable, try the other one.

BTW, you can download the manual for your system (in .PDF format) from here:

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/ali/p5a/p5a-107.pdf

Simply right-click that link, and select the "Save Target As" option (or "Save As", depending on which browser you're using), and store it on your HDD. You'll need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to open that file, or one of the other freeware .PDF file readers, which you can find with a quick search through Google.

Let us know how things turn out...

5. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

Thank you very much to everyone that helped especially sammysosa. Extremely helpful. exactly what I needed... works like a charm.

6. sammysosa

sammysosa

Glad to know you got it working; you can mark this thread SOLVED using the Thread Tools option, just above your original post. I hope that Asus board performs as well for you as it did for me; I gave that system away only because I'd won a new system (AMD K7 800 MHz on an Asus K7M board with all the trimmings, including monitor). I'd owned the P5A less than a year...

7. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I went to the thread tools and I dont see any "solved option"

8. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I went to the thread tools and I dont see any "solved option"

9. sammysosa

sammysosa

If you weren't logged in when you looked for that option, you won't see it; you must log in to enable it, and ONLY the original poster can mark his / her thread as solved.

If you WERE logged in and didn't see that option, you might want to click on the red exclamation mark (upper right corner in the first post), and ask a mod or admin to mark it for you. Might be something they're correcting in the software updates...

10. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

worked great... once again thanks everyone for the help. I was ready to go out and find myself an old parallel printer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice