1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Motherboard and Graphics card compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by english tea, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. english tea

english tea Thread Starter

iv been having problems with my computer locking up. im beginning to think that my mother board isn't compatible with my graphics card (because iv tried everything else). i have an abit ax78 mobo and 9800 GTX+ graphics card.

its my first build so i wouldn't be surprised if i overlooked something and these components aren't compatible.

any help would be greatly appreciated

:confused:

2. BG-0

BG-0

What is your power supply? Did you check through Crucial's website that your RAM is compatible with the mobo? What have you tried to do to fix the situation? Have you applied only a thin layer/a blob of the size of a BB of thermal paste?

3. english tea

this is what it says on the crucial website:

Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300

my ram is 1066mhz - (PC2-8500)
    could this be the problem?

i renewed my thermal paste with a bb size blob of silver 5. i got 2 more case fans just incase it was an overheating issue. and i updated all drivers. i have a 750w Win Power psu

thanks BG-O for replying. i think it was you who helped me last time. (this is the same problem)

heres a link to my ram for more specs
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CRU-T642GK

edit- crucial also says its compatible with DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-5300, PC2-6400 and PC2-8500 so i guess thats not the problem

4. BG-0

BG-0

The link shows RAM that is not 1066 MHz, it's DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), and according to Crucial website it is compatible with your board.

The "750W" Win Power PSU could be your problem there... I can't find any specs for it, and I assume that was the cheapest so called 750W PSU around, eh? That thing is just crap. It most propably isn't enough for your system, replace it with something good.

5. english tea

guilty... :eek: it was a cheap psu. what wattage/brand psu would you recommend? here are the psu specs:

Specification
    Fan Dual 80mm slience bearing fan
    Voltage 95-132VAC or 190-264 VAC switchable
    AC input Frequency 50HZ/60HZ
    AC input Current 10A res max. for 115VAC, 5A res max. for 230VAC
    Ripple-noise 5A res max. for 230VAC
    Operation temperature 0oC ~+40oC
    Hold up time 16ms
    Dielectric withstand Input to frame ground 1800VAC for 1 second
    Power good signal Power on delay time 100ms to 500ms
    power fail 1ms
    Overload protection 150%

Connectors
    Universal 20+4 Pin Main ATX Power Connector: 1
    8(4+4) Pin + 12V Power Connector: 1
    Peripheral Connector (4Pin for HDD, CD ROM etc): 8
    Floppy Connector (4 Pin): 2
    PCI-Express Connector (6 Pin): 1
    Latest L-Type Serial ATA Power Connector: 2

here are the comp specs:

Vista Home Premium
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.1GHz
    Abit AX78 Mother Board
    nVidia 9800 GTX+ Graphics Card
    Thermaltake CL-P0391 Ruby Orb Cpu Cooler
    2GB Crucial RAM
    Antec 300 case (1x120mm and 1x140mm fans)
    500GB Hard Drive
    750w PSU

6. BG-0

BG-0

Those specs tell nothing about the PSU. You should find out the amperes on 12 V rail(s) and at which temperature they were measured. But I think you won't. The manufacturer has no working websites, and that's all I ofund when I tried to.
    This: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CSR-650TX preferably even this: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CSR-TX750 to give a little room for upgrading. Good choices. Sell the old one to some ignorant fool if your conscience permits that, or throw it to the nearest lake.

7. english tea

its fixed! i cant believe it. BG-O i cant thank you enough.

my new PSU arrived today

700W Coolermaster RS-700-AMBA-D3 Silent Pro M700 Modular PSU

it cost alot but i dont care, im just so happy my computer works. i found the nvidia list (http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2_pwr_supply.html) and got one that i knew for a fact would do the trick.

thanks again BG-O for all your help.

ps. does anybody want to buy a 700W psu? its really good... i promise ;)

8. BG-0

BG-0

:confused::confused::confused: I wonder why the Corsair 750 TX is not on that list, it has 120 W more actual power that that Coolermaster PSU (10 A on the 12 V rail (12V*10A=120W) also 650 TX has 2 A more...) and it is basically better quality than the CM unit.... No matter, still quite stupid of nvidia to only test the 1000 W PSU from Corsair... Good that this solved the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice