1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Motherboard change over

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomabounader, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomabounader

tomabounader Thread Starter

Hi,

I am just about to change the motherboard on my PC. i have been looking at...

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

...to check the procedure, but I have got a little confused.

I am running XP Home off one single IDE drive. I wish to continue using this drive as my master (and only) drive. Would I simply go through points 1 --> 22 on the first list of the afore mentioned site? The re-installation of windows malarkey is confusing me...

Cheers,
    T

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

Unless you plan on troubles I would suggest reinstalling windows. backup and reinstall,

New mobo = fresh install.

Could you get by without doing it? it has been done but I guarantee it was not at 100% or without issues.

3. RSM123

RSM123

tomabounder,

I've been fortunate to have changed several boards without ever doing a format / reinstall. However schusterjo is right, it is normally recommended.

Why not use TSG search for previous threads on the same subject, you may get pointers on how they were able to do it.

Or state specifically what you're having reservations about, that way perhaps another member can assist you.

4. tomabounader

I'm just confused as to the process of re-installing or repairing windows... I don't really want to have to wipe my hard drive and install windows fresh... I only just did that a month ago!

I am under the impression that I will have to:

# Start Windows and Logon as Administrator.
    # Insert the XP CD in the CD drive.
    # Let Autorun start. --> Click on Install.
    # Select the Upgrade from the Windows Setup window Installation Type list. --> Click Next
    # Follow on screen prompts until computer restarts.
    # Turn off computer as it restarts.
    # Remove power cord from computer etc. --> Remove old motherboard and replace with new motherboard.
    # Attach cables and power connectors.
    # Reboot and access BIOS --> Check/set date and time, hard drive detection, CPU settings [if necessary] and boot order.
    # Boot from XP CD to Repair Install.
    # For this Upgrade procedure, Ignore "Press a key to boot from CD" on restart.
    # EXIT and say YES to SAVE BIOS settings.
    # Reboot --> Allow upgrade to continue.

I am also wondering if I will have to re-install all hardware drivers again - i.e. Graphics Card etc...

T

5. brite750

brite750

i really hope you backed up your stuff, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, like i said backup do a fresh install. there is a way that says delete all your MB drivers, shut down, and do XP repair with new MB but again, its a crap shoot as to whether it will work and work without problems some where down the line, its up to you though.

6. tomabounader

so you recommend just format the drive and start over again? (after backing up !)

7. brite750

brite750

yeah you said you just did it resently so you know how to do it, for installing a new motherboard I always format and do a fresh install, is it fancy, no, is it convenient, no, but it works the best IMO.

8. tomabounader

Fair enough! It's a pain in the arse but I guess it will be safer in the long term...

grr... I hate updating/patching!

T

9. brite750

brite750

I hear ya:D
    It seems to be the best way though, Ive seen many ways of switching MB/hdd w/o fresh load but they always have a disclaimer, ie may not work, system may be unstable, glitches will show up latter, etc. I was able to do it with some sucess with win9X, fat32, but I hear that with NTFS platforms ie XP its iffy at best.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice