1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: motherboard decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by airbrushguy, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Banned Thread Starter

Hi there i want to build a new computer for my son hes 13 and wants a gaming computer ,i want an entry level 8 core board
    so i was looking at the ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 with the FX bulldozer 8 core im getting some conflicting info about the ram on this board some sites say it only handles 8gb and some say 16gb i am trying to work out witch it is obviously i don't want to get him an 8gb board also just want to confirm the FX 8 core bulldozer will fit on this board and if anyone has a better (cheap) idea for an 8 core bulldozer board..thanks

ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 +AMD FX 8 core bulldozer ?

2. replay

replay

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    He probably will never need 16GB for gaming, 8GB will be plenty. To get 16GB of RAM on this motherboard you have to use 2 x 8GB sticks and it may have to ECC memory which is more more than regular RAM.

I wouldn't get that board to be honest, it's based off a pretty old chipset and doesn't have latest features; no SATA 6GB/s or no USB 3.0, no PCI-Express 3.0. It has limited Bulldozer support and omly two memory slots too. You should really pair a Bulldozer with a AMD 9xx series chipset for best results. Maybe this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128553

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hopefully you will not purchase that mb since it only supports 95W cpus and the only 8core that is 95W is the 8300.
    Go with the board T6 linked to above or if you want to spend a little more money, this gigabyte board is excellent.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3901#ov

5. Simba7

Simba7

Probably will never need 16GB for gaming, but future games will need it. One reason I have 32GB in my laptop. I doubt I'll ever have to get a new laptop for a decade.

The board crjdriver suggested is a fine board and will allow upgrades in the future (second video card, more memory, etc).

6. airbrushguy

yeah i see what you mean about that board ive been looking into in and decided to go for 2 now actully im getting one Asus crosshair v formula for me and a Asus Sabertooth 990fx for my son only because i couldn't decided witch one as for the ram thing i will put two kits in each computer of corsair dominator 12gb with fan mounts also H100i cpu coolers ive already got the cases and ive got a couple of ax850 psu's...only problem im having is i was showing my wife an unboxing on u tube of the sabertooth and now she wants one ..better get working to make some money hahaha

7. Simba7

Simba7

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Those motherboards are meant for extreme overclockers and are overkill for the average gamer, huge change from an entry level motherboard you first started off with.

What graphics cards are you going with?

9. Simba7

Simba7

I'd have to agree with T6, unless you're overclocking the heck out of your processors *AND* have multiple graphics cards, this is beyond overkill.

It'd be like buying a Lamborghini and only going 55.

10. airbrushguy

ive always trusted asus,as for the discontinue i havnt heard of that,plenty of stores are still selling them and as long as asus keeps true to the large factory warrenty that both boards have im happy and im sure they will just because newegg dosnt carry them because there sold out dosnt mean there discontinued, ive lost all faith in intel also after all my mates cpu's keep burning out over alittle time intel used to be my only brand now i recon they cant keep up with there own technology but thats a personal preference

11. airbrushguy

no there not ment for extreme over clockers ausu has neat ram clocking abilitys built in witch is why i will ajust the crosshair alittle the sabertooth is good at over clocking but is geared towards longjevity hence the military standerd and the 5 year warrenty when i say my sons 13 he's been gaming since he was 5 hes no stranger to computers my mum (his grandma) was building computers since i was a little boy working on old 286's, i suggest you guys watch the asus unboxing videos to get a better feel for the boards

12. Simba7

Simba7

*sigh* I really hate it when people use "Military-Grade" in their products. Unless they test it by throwing it out of a 2nd story window, it's not "Military Grade". I should know.

The Sabertooth's board looks alright, but it'd be better if they also followed Gigabyte's way of reducing heat.. by using more Cu in the pathways. This reduces resistance and therefore, reduces heat.

Plus, please run your posts through a spell checker. It drives me nuts trying to translate.

13. airbrushguy

oh sorry tripple 6 in answer to your question im not sure yet on the cards i want to go dule cross fire in both currently i have an asus m4a88td-m usb3 and i have a HIS gddr5 5770 but i want to sell both bord and card and upgrade to asus navidia sli cards just unsure witch ones..

14. airbrushguy

simba 7 at least learn about the board before commenting please,thanks oh and sorry for the spelling when i type fast i have a habit of sounding out not thinking..my bad, heres a link to the sabertooth vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JsTKlOvABM

15. airbrushguy

gigabyte isnt even in the realms of these boards gigabyte is a cheap teenagers board barly entry lvl in my opinion

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice