1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: motherboard drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stupidme, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stupidme

stupidme Thread Starter

I do not have the original drivers for my msi motherboard so I downloaded the live update from msi to c/program files.. and then copied that to a cd. Is this sufficient in case I ever need to reformat the hard drive? :confused:

Thanks..

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

ope, that wont do you a bit of good, tell me what motherboard you have, we will find the drivers, you can download them, then burn them to a CD

3. stupidme

stupidme Thread Starter

p4amv.. it was dl .. what else can I do?

4. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

the updater tool is not for drivers. i will look up your card and send you a link.

5. stupidme

stupidme Thread Starter

VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266-8233 .. does that help ?

6. microwally

microwally

On an MSI motherboard the model number is usually silk-screened between the second and third PCI slots (the white ones). Would you be able to take the side off your computer and tell us what it says there including the version number? Chrono16 is right, the app you downloaded will do you no good should you need to re-load drivers from a disk.

7. bigbear

bigbear

Am I missing something here, I recently reformated a friends computer, downloaded the motherboard drivers, copied them to cd then loaded them to the newly formated hard drive.
    I had no problems why can't stupidme do the same thing?

8. microwally

microwally

I may be wrong, but I believe all that stupidme downloaded was a little application that would send him via internet to a download and install area of the MSI website. My argument is that if he needed to re-install drivers before he had an internet connection established, a cd with basic tried and true drivers would be his best option. I have used that MSI live update in the past, and experience with it tells me that sometimes the older drivers work better with my set-ups. Stupidme's results may vary though.

9. stupidme

stupidme Thread Starter

it is MS 6787 ver: 2... and yes I downloaded the updated drivers to c/program files and copied them to cd for future use. It seems I have created a bit of controversy here. If it is original drivers I need then I am s.o.l.. as I do not have them.. but if there is a place to get them then I will be happy to download them too. The journey continues.

Thanks for all the opinions..

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    All LiveUpdate does is download the drivers. It does NOT caontain any drivers itself.

You will not be able to get online without the Ethernet card drivers so you must at least download those.

You really shoudl download all these drivers: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=456&kind=1

Then you also need the video card drivers and any drivers for any add-in cards like dial-up modems and the what not.

11. bigbear

bigbear

Is this what you are looking for

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=586&kind=1

12. stupidme

stupidme Thread Starter

here is what I have in program files and on cd..Live update 3 w/ATI. Flash Utility,Lang,LBios,LDriver,LIA,LMonitor(image),LOSD,LUtility,LVGABios,LVGADrv, msi.files (free DOS), image and warn....

Am I still missing something? I am way low on the learning curve guys.. thanks for the help.

13. bigbear

bigbear

14. stupidme

stupidme Thread Starter

Ok bigbear.. I went and dl all of the drivers in your link and saved them in a folder labeled "drivers". Now can I simply copy them to a disc or do I have to open and run the zipped files. I do very little with zipped files and how to work with them.:eek:

15. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Yes, you actually do have to open the files, and extract the drivers, but there should be executables, which would make it much easier...

someone please give them more help, as i dont have enough time, i just know that hyaving the driver CD is a heck of alot easier ;)

Thanx Dudes & Dudettes
    -ChRoNo16

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice