1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Motherboard Dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by number2, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number2

number2 Thread Starter

I have an Hp Presario that has stopped recognizing all of my flash drives on any usb ports.

I started noticing that something was up when a few months ago the usb port that is grouped with some card reader ports on the front of my case stopped working. Now none of my flash drives work on this computer in any of the usb ports.

I checked Device Manager and no problems show up for any usb ports. My flash drives show as unrecognized though, like they are all broke. In Device Manager it suggests that I install drivers for the devices but they didn't need any to begin with. I tried the flash drives on another computer and they run fine.

I tried using my printer which connects by usb to print some very simple notepad text and it worked which I don't understand.

This computer has two linux systems installed as well and they don't recognize the flash drives either.

Is this the first sign that my motherboard is failing?

2. CronoT

CronoT

Did your current motherboard come with a driver install disc? If so, try reinstalling both of the Chipset drivers for the motherbaord. One will most likely be for the USB's and the other for the motherboard's chipset.

3. o_ilove

o_ilove

Yes .try to update mobo driver it's good if the latest .you may find it from webside

4. number2

number2 Thread Starter

I have checked the HP site for any drivers that have to do with USB support but none are listed.

I am currently in my second failing tech support chat with an HP support guy but it isn't going well so far.

I have looked around a little but haven't seen any problems with usb ports that indicate a mobo failure.

has anyone ever come across this before?

I have a new mobo on the way but I really want to know for sure that this is really the problem. It seems to me that other problems would most likely come up before usb ports when a board is failing.

thanks for the help.

5. krmilkman

krmilkman

Are you on a network with other pcs and are you sharing a network drive(s)?

When you put in your thumb drives do they light up like they r are connecting?

If you right click on "My Computer" and the click on Manage.. then click on disk manage does the drive(s) show up there?

6. number2

number2 Thread Starter

@krmilkman, first thanks for your interest. I am not on a LAN, My flash drives show activity for about 5 seconds and then die, and no flash drives show up in disk manager.

The HP support guys had me uninstall or delete each flash drive's driver in device manager, and then reboot in order to try to reload or re recognize the drives in windows. I did this for all my flash based drives but it didn't work.

After the 3rd or 4th chat session with HP support last night, I was asked to run PC-Doctor. I have just finished running PC-Doctor for about the fifth time since yesterday and I have had error codes that all relate to memory problems. These are the codes that have come up on all the scans combined; ME516-1, ME516-5, ME516-6, ME516-11, ME516- 12. PC-Doctor showed no codes for any USB problems at all.

I don't get it because I don't have problems with anything other than my usb drives. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Anyway mabey I just need some new memory sticks, I don't know.

7. number2

number2 Thread Starter

My motherboard mystery was apparently solved a few weeks ago. I got the "dying" board to POST after reinstalling the memory correctly.

When the computer was assembled at the factory the memory stix weren't pushed in far enough! The retaining clips weren't able to lock. It took over a year for this to become a problem.

While trying to fix my "mobo" problem I bought new memory, processor, motherboard, and case. I had to RMA the new motherboard because of a faulty graphics controller, and when I got it back it still wouldn't POST! Till I learned how to install memory correctly :/

I need to get an extra heat sink and fan and I will have 2 decent systems now for the cost of about 150 bucks.

I am not certain if the usb port problem is solved for sure but if usb stuff runs in extended memory it should be.

This is a really delayed post but I wanted to wrap it up and thank everyone for the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice