1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Motherboard FRIED ?! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WaveRunner, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WaveRunner

WaveRunner Thread Starter

Hi all...
    Gateway Pent III 500 with 2 20gig HD's board #Tabor3 WS440BX with Intel clone 80443 ??
    I was hooking the power supply to 2nd HD with power ON and small spark and computer shutdown. It will not restart and power button does not light. Did I fry the board or is there a onboard fuse? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...-WR

2. WaveRunner

Found the answer hrere:
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/373510-blown-mobo-power-supply-question.html

I disconnected all power to devices and Mobo...jumped green to black and connected ONLY CDROM. The CDROM light came on starting it. So-o-o it appears the PSU is working but it may still have a bad output. This leads me to beleive it is the Mobo. I will have to investigate further...here and other forums. -WR

3. WaveRunner

As a followup...I continued to hook each individual device up to PSU and power up leaving the HD slave until last because I suspected problems? Then after hooking up this last HD and this device worked. I decided to hook up the 20 pin connector to motherboard and power up. Everything worked? I ran scandisk from MSDOS bootdisk-- W98 version-- and found a bad area of 400 mb. I used the first HD with XP on it and partitioned HD into 3 partitions and one extended with a logical drive (no drive letter assigned). This last logical pratition was to isolate bad clusters? I then ran scandisk the second time (scandisk e:surface/autofix/nosave). From this point on I am not sure if the nosave" feature just eliminated the clusters from the director so this area never is used?! May be problems if I eliminate partition...may have to run scandisk again?! Everything is up and working. I am not sure why the power supply is now working but am grateful the motherboard is till good. I banged on the PSU when I hade removed it...maybe a circuit connector inside reseated itself?! -WR

4. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

Sounds like you just messed up the one power supply connector. First off, I would never recommend unplugging or plugging in anything while the system is plugged in much less powered up. Static electricity alone can cause problems even more problems can come from hot plug ins. It's a pain but try to have things plugged in before you boot.

As far as the bad pieces of the hard drive, when you format the disk it should attempt to repair the bad clusters and if it fails it will flag them off again.

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Better still, run the manufacturer's diags. Usually they will attempt to "repair" the bad sectors. Repair actually involves remapping sectors, using the available spares to replace the truly defective. There is a point at which it will no longer repair, if there are too many bad sectors. I'd not use that drive for critical data!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice