1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Motherboard overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quoco, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Quoco

Quoco Thread Starter

Hello

I just upgrade my computer (CPU,Motherboard and graphics card) and i am getting blue screens when i try to do any but surf the net. I am using the asus pc probe II and its telling me my motherboard temp is sitting around 50'C idel. CPU temp is 42'C. When i touch the heats on the board they are almost to hot to touch.

did i get a faulity board or is this normal?

i am going to reformat to see if this stops the blue screening

Motherboard: Asus P5Q
    CPU: Intel E8400 E8400CORE 2 DUO 3.00GHZ
    graphic card: HIS HIS-4850-E3-IQT4 ATI HD4850 IceQ4 Turbo

please help

2. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

That should not be happening. How is the cooling in your case? Take the side panel off and blow a desk fan on it and see if that helps. All those temperatures are pretty good otherwise, although I don't think the motherboard should be idleing at temperatures over your CPU.

Although I have heard of there being broken sensors in the north board chipset. So that could be your only problem. Either way, blow air on it and see what happens.

3. Quoco

Quoco Thread Starter

ok ill give that a go.

but is it normal for the actual north board heat sink to be to hot too touch?

4. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

You really shouldn't be touching your motherboard at all if you can help it : /. Especially while it is running. If I had to venture and educated guess ( I won't touch my own) I would say no. Hopefully you won't have to RMA.

5. replay

replay

doesn't that board come with a chipset fan that u attach...see pic

Attached Files:

6. Quoco

Quoco Thread Starter

i think the fan is an optional extra. but i would like to get one now that i know.
    where can i find one?

7. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

You can probably buy it from the ASUS website, or get it through their help support if you want the official heatsink. You can buy a better one for cheaper at newegg or another on line retailer. They will be classified as heatisnks, look for a northbridge fan cooler.

Unless you are going to do some overclocking or it really is a hot northbridge it won't do much for you though. The north bridge is touchy about temps and will shut down if it gets to hot. Keeping it cool "fools" your system into believing your CPU is better off then it may be.

8. Quoco

Quoco Thread Starter

I have reformated my computer and i dont get that error message any more :)

i have also brought a new fan and now the MB idles at 46'C and cpu at 36'C

i think its fixed!

9. asin_the1

asin_the1

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice