1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: motherboard power connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corndog107, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corndog107

corndog107 Thread Starter

Hi i just bought a gigabyte 970a-d3p motherboard and im building a computer from alot of parts that i already had and the power supply i have doesn't have a 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector. The power supply is a 485w and it has the standard 20+4 pin a 6 pin and a extra 4 pin is there a way i can fix this without buying a new power supply? ( such as i dont need to hook up the 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector anyway? ) thanks for looking and please help me out if u can.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the make and model of the power supply?

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. NO NO you cannot
    as that is CPU power

3. You do not say what make of power supply or the amps on the 12 volt rail
    The fact it is 485watts means very little

If it is a cheap - unknown make I would not even think of connecting it to a new motherboard of that spec

4. 8 pin 12v aux header on the board for the cpu power is compatible with 4 pin and providing the 4 pin can supply the required POWER you can use the 4 pin
    CHECK the orientation of the connector against the header as outlined in your motherboard manual eg ground and 12 volts

4. corndog107

corndog107 Thread Starter

Thanks it was a older power supply so i decided to get a new one thanks for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1123311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice