1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Motherboard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mlippertl5, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlippertl5

mlippertl5 Thread Starter

I have a motherbored out of a dell.

And I had and empty case sitin around so I hooked it up and when you push the power button on the case the fan on the bored starts to spin but after a sec or to it shuts off.
    Is is something im doing wrong or is it the motherbored?

2. caelcormac

caelcormac

Double check that the jumpers for the power are correctly connected to the motherboard

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, dells are proprietary. The older ones use a proprietary power supply as well. You cannot just install a dell mb into a standard atx case and expect it to work. Very often the pci/agp/pci-e slots will not line up, wrong type pw supply, etc.

Are you attempting to use a dell case or a standard case? Are you using a dell pw supply or a standard pw supply?

4. mlippertl5

i am useing a old e machine case

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those are pretty much standard atx or micro cases. FWIW I would not waste time with something like this. If you are doing this for experience, then fine; it can be a good learning experience. If you are attempting to build a system for use, IMO it is a waste of time.

If you really really want to see if it will work, I would attempt an out of the case pw up of the board. This will tell you if it is a mounting problem or a board problem. In any case, you need to make sure of what pw supply that board needs; dell or standard atx.

6. mlippertl5

I got it to work, I was useing a standard atx power supply. I dug out a dell power supply and it powered right up with no problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!