1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Motherboard Problems!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnnieq, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I installed WinXP on an old Celeron 700 computer with 384MB of RAM. It also has an old nVidia TNT2 video card.

Now the modem isn't seen by Windows, and the audio doesn't work. The modem looks antique. It does not even plug into a MB slot.

System Devices showed a problem with "nVidia Aladdin TNT2" so I downloaded the latest drivers. No change but the video seems ok anyway, so not a real problem.

I searched for drivers for the old modem but gave up and installed a new one. It is still not seen by Windows.

Also marked as problems in System Devices are "PCI Simple Communications Controller" (which is probably the cause of the modem woes) and two instances of "Multimedia Audio Controller, (which is probably why I have no sound.)

So I 'think' the problem is probably due to outdated motherboard drivers and/or BIOS.

I installed Belarc Advisor and it says the motherboard is:
    Board: Acer Laboratories Inc. ALi 1631 1.0
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 07/15/97

How do I fix the audio & modem? Update the BIOS?

HELP!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you select update drivers for the modem what happens? Did a cd or floppy disk come with the new modem? You point the driver search there right?

3. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

A CD came with the modem and I did run the installation for the XP modem drivers.

I actually connected to the net immediately after installing the drivers, but it ran unbelievably slow. I went straight to Windows Update site in hopes of getting driver upgrades for everything, but it finally just froze up. After closing the connection, the modem would not connect and once again was not seen by Windows.

4. ~Candy~

Did you reboot the computer and try again.

5. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Numerous times. With no success :(

6. ~Candy~

Can you move it to another slot on the motherboard? If so, do that (remove it completely from device manager first).

7. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I can try that, but not until later this afternoon. I have to go out for awhile. I'll post my results.

And thanks AcaCandy!!

Any ideas on the sound problems?

8. ~Candy~

Could be IRQ conflicting with the modem.....although they say XP is supposed to handle this more graciously, on that older machine, it may not be happening. I'm assuming you pulled the antique modem out, correct?

9. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

It has already started on it's journey to the local dump.

I be back online around 17:00 with the results of trying the modem in a different slot.

FYI - This is NOT my computer. A friend dropped off his friend's computer for me to fix up. It was FILTHY inside. Could be part of the problem perhaps? Dirt lodged in a slot?

TIA

10. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I swapped slots on the motherboard and it worked. The conflicts did not go away but it connected to the net. I went straight to the Windows Update site and took the driver updates that were available.

Thanks a lot!

JQ

11. ~Candy~

No problem, two threads solved today by moving the device to another slot ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice