1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: motherboard recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatoneguy24, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thatoneguy24

thatoneguy24 Thread Starter

2. steven1350

steven1350

all depends what you are looking for with a computer.

That looks like a great gaming board that has 3 pci-e slots. But if you dont plan on using all three, you can save a few dollars and buy a less expensive one

3. Compiler

Compiler

Only need to get that IF you're planning on running SLi. No SLI = No need. SLi comes with quite a bit more cost involved.

1 -$150 extra for the motherboard
    2 -$100~300 extra for the PSU.
    3 -$200~600 for extra video card

SLi costs $450~1050

Otherwise a nice $100 P35 or P45(PCIe2.0) motherboard will do just as fast with a 550~600watt ($90~120 PSU) and a single video card. Gigabyte recommended.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah if you are not using Sli, then buy a board with an Intel chipset, not nvidia for Intel cpu and EVGA, well they don't make the boards I would rather see Gigabyte with a P35 chipset any day of the week.

5. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, looks like I have settled for a P35 board, it was a bit cheaper than the P45 - but since I don't have ANY plans for SLi and even today's DUAL 8800GTX in SLI have not maxed out PCI1.0, then this $90 board from Gigabyte should last me a good 2-3 years.

By then, PCIe 3.0 will be out (due late 2009/early 2010) and should still work fine with WindowsXP if Windows7 blows chunks the way vista does.

6. thatoneguy24

thatoneguy24 Thread Starter

thanks for the responses... yeah i did plan on using SLI which is why i picked it. i trust you guys so as long as you dont have any qualms... gonna go take the plunge.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice