1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MotherBoard Recommendation !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

hi !

My motherboard has gone on the blink and i have decided to take a gigabyte mb, but the choice is so very confusing and so many chipsets that i would need some help to decide.
    firstly can someone explain the different chipsets for the socket 775 as well as the advantages and the reviews , if you could point to some other website it would do fine ..........
    My main requirement is that it should be a stable board , I do not overclock although i do game quite a bit.
    My preference is an atx board.

any help would be appreciated

faiz

my config
    xfx 680i lt sli, c2d e6750, 2gb ram, ati 4850, 320 sata hdd, psu vx 450 corsair

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO the only chipset to use for an intel build is an intel chipset. When you use a third party chipset ie nvidia, sis, via, etc, you are asking for problems.

I would go with a p45 chipset board like this Gigabyte board

3. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi ! crjdriver, thanks for replying,

Yes certainly I had decided on an intel chipset, but there were quite a few of them in the gigabyte range like the
    G series -31,41,45
    Q series- 45
    P series- 43, 45, 55

I am kind of confused here, what are the differences between these chipsets, and which is the appropriate one at this time,
    Although the board you recommended is really cool, just want to know about the other chipsets.

rgds faiz

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver thanks to your recommendation i just got myself a new EP 45- UD3L. I know i should have gone with the UD3R but i had a budget and here where i stay it was a huge difference.

crjdriver i hope you can help me on this one :)
    Can i install my new mb on the current config without formatting my sata drive ?
    There is some data on the c drive that i need to access.

rgds faiz

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe. There is a sticky at the top of the HW forum to swap boards without a clean install. In any case, you MUST have a backup of anything important.

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

7. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Sorry for being out of touch !

I had quite an experience with the new board.
    When I plugged in the board, cpu, ram and graphics card and then power ..............whoa I get just a small response of led lights and whirring of fans, tried it again and the same thing intermittant starts and stops. and no display at all.
    I am not a techie so I tried some different combinations with a different psu, graphics card, ram switching , different cpu..............but alas no luck , i thought i got a faulty board.
    Went to sleep and the next morning again was doing some experimenting and what do you know it started up with my present config as mentioned in my first post.

crjdriver I am so very confused the same board was not starting up with my current config and the next morning the same config is perfectly alright :rolleyes:

Although things are fine I am still at my wits end as to what happened. Could you please enlighten me .
    Another thing I would like to run some stress tests on my new board could you suggest some software please.
    I have noticed on my new board that when i powerup, the cpu fan takes a sec more than the other fans and it starts up quite slow unlike my old board.
    When I run Easytune I get an rpm speed of 850 to 900 on idle and it goes upto 1100 on a little extra load.
    I have just started running the machine last night and I would be having some queries so if its alright by you, could we keep this thread open.

thanks faiz

ps:
    Although i took a backup of my c drive , the machine booted up fine and functional, but still in a weeks time i will be formatting and doing a fresh install of my os.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The cpu fan is controlled in the bios by smartfan. You can disable this and the fan will run at full speed all of the time. I rather like the smartfan since it keeps noise down.

Stress test. Use prime95 [available from many sites for free]

As to your problem. I have no idea other than you may have had a bad connection that was fixed when you swapped power supplies. In any case as long as it is working now, I would not worry too much.

9. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, will certainly keep the smartfan enabled.
    I do not overclock or lets say quite satisfied with stock speeds.
    Are there any bios settings that i should enable or disable, that are not the default settings, in order to get more stability and performance (not overclocking).

thanks
    faiz

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not really unless you have memory that needs a higher than stock voltage. If you have hi-performance memory then you should set the correct vdimm [ram voltage] in the bios.

11. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

thanks (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/886530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice