1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ares1211, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ares1211

Ares1211 Thread Starter

I recently put in a new motherboard and power source to my computer. When I turn it on, the monitor stays in sleep and there is a consecutive elongated beep coming from the PC. Any thoughts would be helpful... thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check the video card to be sure it isn't loose.....also double check the monitor connection to it.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Agree that it sounds like the video card needs to be reseated. Also check your RAM and reseat it too and make sure the Clear CMOS jumper is in the correct position.

4. Annorax

Annorax

If it powers up but has no picture, it could be your video card. But those beeps could also mean a memory issue, like stated above.

5. wedor

wedor

Single long beep usually indicates a RAM problem.

6. 4nik

4nik

if you used metal motherboard standoff's then check to ensure one isnt in contact with the underside of the motherboard, particularily by the ram slots

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I normally power up the basic system on the bench before I put it into the case and get everything working. When I put it in the case, if it doesn't work, I know it's a physical installation issue. It's also much easier to work on the stuff if it's sitting in the open on the bench. :)

8. Ares1211

Ares1211 Thread Starter

I found out that it was in fact a RAM problem...My new motherboard has the option if DDR ram and also reg PC133 ram. However, it does what I have described above only when my PC133 inserted. Also I used several differant PC133 chips so I know it isnt the actual RAM. I appreciate all you help and sorry for the delay on the replay, Im a slow worker.

9. ~Candy~

This may be a stupid question, but you aren't trying to use both types at the same time are you????? If not, I believe there is a jumper pin on the motherboard that needs to be changed for which ever kind you are using ;)

10. Ares1211

Ares1211 Thread Starter

Ya that does it... Thanks for all your help

11. ~Candy~

Changing the jumper pin?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice