1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: mouse and keyboard won't wake computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Masterman10, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Masterman10

Masterman10 Thread Starter

My mosue and computer won't wake the computer from sleep mode. I have them plugged into a usb port in the back of my computer. Yet, when the computer goes to sleep it turns off the ports. I have switched the mouse and keyboard in device manager to allow them to wake the computer. So, is there a way to make it so that when my computer goes to sleep it does not turn off the usb port that my mouse and keyboard are plugged into?

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi Masterman10!

You may need to get into your BIOS to enable this feature. I'm not sure where you need to get but to give you a clue, in my BIOS I have to get into Power management and enable the wake up calls for mouse, keyboard and usb devices.
    I guess it's something similar in your case.

Hope I helped :)

3. Masterman10

I checked my BIOS. In power management it doesn't list any specific things for mouse, or keyboard or usb. I checked other places also and found plug and play is enabled along with everything else that could possibly have to do with this. Does anyone have like a link to a set of instructions I could look at or such.

4. Masterman10

Can anyone help with this. It's really annoying and I can't think of anything else to try.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Check in Device Manager under USB. Double click on each USB Root Hub, click the Power Management Tab, and un-check Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and Check Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby.

You may be able to identify which hub the mouse and keyboard are connected to from the Power tab; then you only need to enable that one hub, and can let the PC turn off the others.

You'd think that when you set a USB device to allow it to wake the PC that Windows would be smart enough to change that setting on the associated hub.

HTH

Jerry

6. Masterman10

That did it. Thanks. I was working all around the mouse and keyboard I never really thought of checking the hubs themselves.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice