1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: mouse/keyboard change?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larryh10000, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I have a Dell (4 years old) running Windows XP with SP3 that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I have always hated them and wish to switch to an optical mouse and a USB wired keyboard.

The following is how I thought I would do this:
    Shut down the computer then unplug the USB mouse/keyboard receiver device from the back of the computer, then plug-in the optical mouse and plug in the USB wired keyboard and then turn the computer back on.

I'm thinking the computer will see these new devices upon boot-up and install the needed drivers.

These steps sound like what you techs would do?

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. valis

valis Moderator

Nope, that should be it. As long as you buy pretty standard stuff (and wired is most definitely going to be standard) you should be able to get out there pretty cheap as well.

For what it's worth, I as well am still in the wired park. Wireless is nice, but when the batteries start going, I tend to lose my patience. :)

3. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I bought a pretty nice Logitec keyboard ($15.00) and I already had a Logitech USB optical mouse.

Ya know, I have tried 2 brands of wireless keyboard/mouse combinations and they worked but were jumpy, sometimes I got a double-click action when I only clicked once, a slight lag in response time, heavy battary use, and I could go on.

This new wired mouse/keyboard are solid, fast response (no lag what-so-ever) no more jumpy mouse cursor, and best of all, no more batteries. One extra USB port had to be used, but it's worth it.

Thanks for your response!

I'll mark this thread Solved

4. valis

valis Moderator

no worries, and thanks for marking it solved.

yeah, wife got me a wireless combo a few years back; I think it's still in the box. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice