1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Mouse left click NOT working on Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

(first of all,the left click of my mouse is the dominent click,not the right click)

the left click of the mouse is NOT working when left-clicking a desktop icon. the right click will work on the desktop icons.

additionally,the mouse is about 1 year old , a couple of days ago fell apart a bit,and the left click WILL WORK when surfing on the internet.

2. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

Is just replacing the mouse an option? That's what I'd do, especially since you said it "fell apart a bit".

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

its likely the problem.

i liked to learn the technical "quark" of why a left click refuses to work on a desktop icon ,but will work surfing the net.

thats presuming of course,the mouse is at fault.
    thanks

4. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

Let's get some more opinions in here!;)

5. PatInAz

PatInAz

Let's keep it simple here. No reason to strain anybody's brain. A mouse is a commodoity device. They all do the basics to scroll and click. Get a different mouse from other system. One that is known to work. Plug it into your machine. If it works, get a new mouse.
    If it doesn't work any better, report back to here.
    Then we can start on the theories.

6. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

took me awhile to buy a new mouse to see if the problem is the mouse,the new mouse is doing the same thing.

when i use the left click button of the mouse on the desktop icons,nothing happens except the icon becomes highlighted.

when inside (on a browser),the left click buttom will operate fine.

any feedback? whatever the problem,the answer should give insight into computers

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you single clicking on the desktop items or double clicking?

8. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

single and double clicking,i have tried.

9. slipe

slipe

I’ve heard of that happening when you get too many icons on the desktop.

Make some folders for your desktop and put some of the icons in the folders to consolidate them by category. Makes things easier to find anyway. Get rid of any you don’t use.

10. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

as a matter of fact,i do have many icons on my desktop such as 3 internet explorers. i'll deleete some to see what happens.

i also understand desktop is actually its own folder

11. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i'm deleted down to 5 icons,not 15 like i had 20 minutes ago.
    unfortunately,the left click of the mouse still does not work on the desktop icons.

the answer will give some insight into the complex nature of computers

12. PatInAz

PatInAz

My best guess is maybe somebody changed your mouse properties.
    Go into the Control Panel (from My Computer) and go to the Mouse box. You should be able to test the button clicks and set the button assignments. This is where some lefties reverse the left and right clicks. Maybe yours got set wrong.
    Good Luck :cool:
    Pat in Phoenix

13. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i tried the mouse properties,back and forth,forth and back. no luck

also noticing the left click does not work on control panel icons,...and again,the left click works fine when surfing.

thanks

14. ourhouse

ourhouse

very strange. a problem like that would just annoy me and i would just reinstall the OS to see if that did anything... but thats just me =o)

15. Marturo

Marturo Guest

As I am not an electrical engineer. I would buy an inexpensive adaptor, that let's you change you mouse plug PS2 into a USB. If you have a working USB port, then you can at least rule out a bad PS2 port. I think in terms of test, and results one thing at a time. When it comes to software related problems, it always helps to make sure the hardware is working first.
    Marturo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68151