1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mouse Only Works in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TobiasB, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TobiasB

TobiasB Thread Starter

Hello:

I have a one year old HP dv9700 GT811AV laptop with 3GB RAM, 240GB disk, 17" display. Vista 32 bit SP1 All updates installed.

I'm having trouble with USB mice. They work in Safe Mode but not Normal Mode. When I plug a new mouse in, USB dialog state the drive was installed and the device is available. However, it will not work even after a reboot and it never shows up in device manager.

Multiple mice have been tired and all the USB ports are working at a hardware level. USB hard drives and printers have no problems.

I have installed the software supplied with a Microsoft Intelli-mouse and tried a Logitech under sitepoint 4.7. Both these mice work in safe mode, but not one the system is running normally.

I have uninstalled all entires under USB controllers and HIDs including invisables and allowed the system to install them again. No luck.

I suspect a problem with the native mouse driver or the HID driver. I say suspect because I don't think they are loaded in safe mode. However, I have no idea how to remove the offending driver and replace it with the correct one.

I've been at this for 18 hours and appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

Toby

2. unbidden

unbidden

Something to try:

Go into device manager and right click on the Mouse in question (may have a yellow ! or ?).
    Choose "browse my computer for driver software" rather than having Vista do it.

Point it to "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers" and choose "Let me pick from
    a list..."

From the list choose HID-complient mouse - next.

If no luck, are other usb devices working from this same port?

3. TobiasB

TobiasB Thread Starter

The Mouse driver had gone bad and due to my over use of hybernation on this machine, Vista kept using a bad instance of the entry in device manager. I used the show hidden on view in DM and found 15 entires for USB devices and several for mice. deltel all the ghosted entries. Plugged in my mouse, intalled a new driver and all is well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice