Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Mouse will not register on forms

983 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1790 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 73123 MB, Free - 22744 MB;
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD, Samsung DeskTop System
Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 2014, Updated and Enabled

Hi: My mouse wouldn't let me even get into this website to see why I couldn't fill in forms, as I couldn't enter my User name and password. I finally realized that this had happened a couple of days ago when I updated Security Items from Microsoft, so I went into Programs and found the last item by date that I had installed. It was Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office System. It was a pretty large install and anyway, I uninstalled it. Lo and behold, I can now enter my name, etc. on forms again. What is concerning me now is that I have probably lost some of my security, so am wondering which items in this Pack that I can download without stopping me from filling out forms.

Help please and thank you.

Midser

See less See more
#3 ·
Compatibility View Settings in IE11 > menu -> tools can allow you to work in some websites that don't hit Microsoft's ever moving target for compatibility. You can also try FireFox, Chrome, etc.. That compatibility pack is as Cookiegal mentions for working documents in later versions of Office.

#4 ·
Thank you folks. Many months ago I installed an update so I could open dxc (or was it dcx or something similar) in WORD but I only had the problem with filling in forms in the last couple of days (after I had downloaded the latest security updates) which I thought must have been that Compatibility Pack since it was dated when I last updated and nothing else was. As long as my security updates are not affecting my ability to fill in forms that is good. Thank you so much for your fast replies, I appreciate it.

Midser

#5 ·
Word documents created in 2007 and later versions have the extension .docx whereas earlier ones are simply .doc so that's what you would have needed the compatibility pack for. It's possible the update corrupted something. If you no longer need the compatibility pack then you can just stay the way you are but if you do it would be interesting to see if reinstalling and updating it causes the problem again.

#6 ·
Thank you, I am just so glad that I can now fill in forms, etc. again - what a panic! I will not download the compatibility pack until I receive another attachment ending with .docx that I feel that I need. I will keep in mind though to not add any updates to it (if possible) as I think it had to be that as it's too much of a coincidence that when I uninstalled this pack the mouse then registered in forms again. I couldn't even get into Tech Guy because it wouldn't register my name, never mind my password. I thought I was going to have to go into my tablet to contact you folks. As I said it was only after going into the programs and uninstalling this compatibility pack that I was able to register. Anyway, I will mark this as Mark Solved and thank you folks for your answers and especially for the assurance that my security is still okay. Midser.

#7 ·
You're welcome. If you know someone is going to send you a document created in Word 2007 or later ask them to send you a copy saved in compatibility mode Word 97-2003 and then you will be able to open it without the compatibility pack as it will be in .doc format. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.