1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: move from vista to Windows 7/

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by LouCopits, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LouCopits

LouCopits Thread Starter

I have been offered a slightly used laptop with Vista. How hard (and expensive) would it be to move to Windows 7 instead of Vista?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just check out the price of the edition of Win 7 you want on your favorite computer store site?

I don't usually recommend upgrade installation of Windows. It is better to format and install.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What do you mean by "slightly used"?

If it's loaded with the original owner's programs and personal data and other "debris", you really should format the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows 7.

A full version Windows 7 DVD is noticably more expensive than an upgrade version Windows 7 DVD.

Depending on whether you want to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 or do a clean install of Windows 7 will determine which DVD you need.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. LouCopits

LouCopits Thread Starter

The only time I tried a restore I lost all the drivers (not on this laptop).

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

As long as the computer is legally licensed for Windows Vista, you can use a Windows 7 upgrade disk and license to either upgrade to 7 or do a clean install of it.

6. LouCopits

LouCopits Thread Starter

Thanks!

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

I have to agree with lunarlander, much better with a clean install with complete version of 7. Slightly more costly but much more worth it.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The difference between a a full and an upgrade Windows 7 purchase is the license, not the technology. If the computer is already licensed for Vista, only an upgrade license is needed. Purchasing anything else is a waste of money. You can do a clean install with an upgrade disk.

10. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Doublehelix speaks the truth, however its always much handier having a full copy.

According to Microsoft:
    "In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated. You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive. The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed."

Hence if for any reason hard drive needed formatted or no imaging software could be used for hard drive upgrades etc, you would still need a full licenced copy of windows 7 to install.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I wanted to do a clean install of my Windows Vista Home Premium SP2(32-bit) computer instead of upgrading it to Windows 7 Home Premium(32-bit), but the Microsoft store wanted substantially more money for a full license over an upgrade license, so I made the upgrade.

I downloaded the upgrade file and was provided an upgrade license. I was also advised that I would be mailed a backup DVD at no cost. When the package arrived, I was surprised to see 2 DVD's in it - 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

It appears the same DVD can be used to make an upgrade or a clean install, depending on whether you have an upgrade or full license.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. You do not need to pay extra for a full license simply to do a clean install. You DO NOT need to install another qualifying product first.

13. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

DoubleHelix, I appreciate that a completely clean install can be done with an upgrade disk but this is slightly againt the law. when installing Windows 7 onto a blank hard drive. You can even use the upgrade disc for doing this, but when it comes to activating Windows 7, you won’t be able to do it with the upgrade licence key, you need to use a key from the full edition of Windows 7 to run a legit copy of Windows 7.

Glad you got it sorted out though Flavellee and since you upgraded, are running a fully legit copy of windows.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not illegal. Contact Microsoft if you have doubts.

15. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Upgrade licence vs full licence

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/...rade-is-an-upgrade-what-you-need-to-know.aspx

and also !!!direct from Microsoft!!!

If you're running a genuine version of Windows XP or Windows Vista, you qualify for an upgrade copy of Windows 7. When you buy Windows 7, you can choose between the upgrade and full version. Both include the same features. If you have Windows XP or Windows Vista on your PC, you can use the upgrade version. If you don't, you'll need to get the full version.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!