1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Moved folder, now access is denied!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stealthz, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

[I'm using Windows XP]

I wanted to move a folder from one location to another. I cut the folder, went to the desired locationa nd pasted it. When when trying to open the folder it said access was denied. I went to it's properties and unchecked "read only", tried to open it again, "access is denied"(again). I checked properties again and read only was still checked(stays checked even after unchecking it and clicking okay). I then did a system restore to 2 previous dates. Both resulted in the folder going back to it's original location. I was then able to go into the folder but did not have access to view any file in the folder (access was denied to all of them).

I have no idea what to do. The files in that folder are very important to me, so I really hope there is a simple solution to this.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Bad Link

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

There is a problem..

When I try to start in safe mode it takes me to a black screen and lists all these .sys files in the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder. It gets stuck there and won't budge, and I have to manually turn off the computer.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Follow the instructions here for using "calcs" to change permissions -- only substitute the path to your folder for system volume information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/

For the problem with getting into Safe Mode, if it ends in agp440.sys, I would recommend installing updated Display drivers if available.

6. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

EDIT - Messed up..

7. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

Alright I did the cacls on the folder containing all the files I couldn't access. But since I was always able to access the folder, just not the files; I was still stuck with the problem.

I then used the cacls comman on a individual file that I was denied access to. After executing trhe command, I was granted access. However, there are a lot of files in this folder. Is there anyway I can grant access to all of them at once, or do I have to type the command for each and every single one of them individually?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would have expected it to automatically apply to the files, but I haven't played with this utility at all.

There is more on it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx?mfr=true

It looks like you can use "wildcards" to apply to files.

Perhaps something like this would work:

cacls "driveletter:\MYFolder\*.*" /E /G username:F

Or, holdaphone, just include this switch:

/t : Changes DACLs of specified files in the current directory and all subdirectories.

9. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

Rollin Rog, you're my hero. Thanks a ton!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice