1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] moving files from fat16 hard drive to fat32 hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RickDean, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickDean

RickDean Thread Starter

Can I move files between two computers, from a fat16 formated ide hard drive on one machine to a fat32 formated ide hard drive on a second machine, directly, using a home network connection; or do I need to run a "fat32 conversion" utility first?
    I saw a previous thread which stated that it could be done using an Iomega zip disk because the file transfer protocol automatically dealt with the formatting diferences. Would a network transfer work in a similar manner?

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You do not need to convert from FAT16 to FAT32 in order to copy the files. In fact, I would strongly advise against it. If the conversion fails, you could lose all your data.

3. RickDean

RickDean Thread Starter

I moved a few files using a zip disk as originally intended and had no problems. Then I calculated how many files needed to be moved and it came out to exceed 4GB. That would take too many transfer "cycles" to be practical so I set up a "home network" using a 3Com starter network kit that I bought about a year ago to learn about networking and everything worked out just fine. I greatly appreciate the advise and info provided to me in this forum. Best wishes and Happy Holidays to all!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice