1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] moving OE6 dbx files between computers

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by davidreidok, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidreidok

davidreidok Thread Starter

I just brought a new desktop windows xp home edition outlook express 6,0
    My old desktop is Windows 98 outlook express 6.0

I am trying to move my sent email dbx files from the W98 machine via a zip disk to the WXP machine using the following instructions I got off the windows knowledge base

Copy Mail Files to a Backup Folder

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express e-mail message files:
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
    3. Select the folder location, and then press CTRL+C to copy the location.
    4. Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.
    5. Click Start, and then click Run.
    6. In the Open box, press CTRL+V, and then click OK.
    7. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
    8. On the Edit menu, click Copy, and then close the window.
    9. Right-click any empty space on your desktop, click New, and then click Folder.
    10. Type mail backup for the folder name, and then press ENTER.
    11. Double-click the Mail Backup folder to open it.
    12. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
    13. Close the Mail Backup window

The copy went ok, I just did the copy to the zip disk then loaded that zip disk file onto the WXP machine desktop and did the steps below

Importing Outlook Express data
    To restore data, you may need to re-create the Identities for each user, prior to using the following steps. Repeat each step, as needed, for each Identity.
    Import Messages from the Backup Folder
    To import your Outlook Express e-mail messages from the Backup folder:
    1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
    2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
    3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
    4. Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder on your desktop.
    5. Click OK, and then click Next.
    6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

When I do step 5 of the import procedure above, I get error message as follows:

No message can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required file open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open.

Well the only thing I have open is outlook express 6 attempting to do the procedure.

Any help is appreciated.

dave

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Have you gone and looked in that new folder to see if you have INBOX.dbx..... SENT ITEMS.dbx.... etc? Perhaps something went haywire in the copying of them.

And if the folders are there - check the size of the INBOX to see that it has things in it. The default empty folder will be around 300Kb. If you have messages that should be much larger - perhaps in the Megabytes.

If that doesn't point to the problem, we can copy around all that.
    But check that first!

- C

3. davidreidok

yup, there is messages in the sent dbx files

I found a utility that converted the records to eml format and in windows explorer when I ckick on one of the 7,881 email records in the file, the message is opened and I can read them.

If I could get the eml format into the new outlook express 6.0 sent folder, I would be home free.

So far have not had any luck getting OE to import the eml records.

Thanks for your help

dave

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Have you simply tried the old Drag & Drop? That is what I have always used. If your problem is elsewhere then it may run into the same wall.

It is really just about finding the location of your new current folders (that will change if you have IDENTITIES) and then inserting your older folders (there I go rhyming again!)

There are a few tricks and OE acts crazy sometimes. (Like you'll have to actually go into a new folder you create from within OE before it will recognize it)

Anyway... go to this thread - which has other links - and try the folder shuffling routine. Maybe you'll have success! It's always worked for me. I hope so!

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161657

- Castleheart :cool:

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

By the way..... in case it isn't mentioned in that thread, and in case you have IDENTITIES - in which case there will be multiple locations of INBOX etc ... just go into your new OE and on the folder panel on the left, right-click INBOX and properties will tell you it's location.

And in case you wondered why I said in case three times in once sentence - I don't know - I guess I talk that way sometimes!

- C ;)

6. davidreidok

thanks, I am learning a lot and getting familiar with where things are in OE and how to make XP show me everything in Windows Explorer.

Right now I have been able to locate everything in various folders and moved the sent.dbx file into the Identities folder on the XP computer.

But, OE still is not seeing the imported dbx.

This is probably obvious, but how do you create a new OE folder for the sent emails? Maybe if I do that and then move the imported sent.dbx file to that folder, I will be able to get to the imported sent.dbx on the XP OE setup.

Many thanks. this should be a simple deal, but it is giving me fits as nothing so far has worked like it should.

dave

7. davidreidok

OK, got the new folder created in OE6 (found the option)

when I go to the new XP windows explorer I can drill down to the folder that is under the identitie for main user and underthat is a folder that has all the DBX files for outlook express.

I have the copied W98 dbx files stored on the XP desktop only problem is I cannot drag the W98 files into the windows explorer right pane which displays the newly created XP sent.dbx file I want to copy to.

I am obviously doing something wrong here just cannot figure out what

thanks for any help

dave

8. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

First of all - I am using W98 so we will have some differences.

Try this. Go into OE and create a folder called OLDSENT under your local folders in the FOLDER pane. You will then have to go into that folder from OE so that OE will activate it. Better yet - drag some unimportant Email from your sent box into it. That way you can make sure OE recognizes it. Go into it and see that the Email is in fact there.

Now go via My computer, down to the folder that contains all the new .dbx files for your OE and open it in it's own window. You should see the newly created OLDSENT.dbx. Delete it

If you did not already do so, make a copy of your SENT ITEMS (the old one) on your desktop. You'd hate to lose those due to a screw up! Now take that copy of the SENT ITEMS on your desktop and rename it OLDSENT.dbx.

Now you SHOULD/u] be able to drag it from the desktop to the open window. Give it a try and tell me what's happening.
    - C

9. davidreidok

will do

thanks for your patience

10. davidreidok

Mr CastleHeart,

It Worked!

Sir, you have been a tremendious help to me.

Man, I been wrestling with this procedure for several days and just could not get it done.

I would try something, it would not work as advertised, go back to do a google search, check sources, get options, try them and it was a real learning experience.

From Oklahoma to North Carolina ----- Many Thanks

I am a kayaker and visit the area around Bryson City NC and the Nantahala River quite often.

If I ever run into you over there, the lunch and beer or your favorite beverage is on me.

thanks again

dave

11. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Good deal (y)

You can just leave your folder there as OLDSENT - or - if you wish, drag and drop what is important to your SENT folder right there on the folder panel and then trash the OLDSENT folder. The choice is yours.

So glad YOU'VE GOT MAIL!

- Castleheart ;)

(You bein's from Oklahoma and all - I'm an ol' Texas boy myself. From Tyler, in the northeast. I get back to the old home town once or twice a year.

Bryson city is in the Mountains. beautiful area all up around there. I live on the coast - actually on a river that flows into the ocean - The Neuse River - look it up. (Here's a pic from my place. Hurricane took my dock!)
    Occasionally, I kayak out into the river on quiet mornings when the river is calm. But that isn't the whitewater stuff you do. It is great to live on the water. But I still miss Texas sometimes!

Attached Files:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice