1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Moving OS and software....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cindan, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

Let me start out by saying that if this is in the wrong forum, by all means - move it :)

I am looking for some help and advice. A year or so ago, my brother gave me a computer - it was headed for the garbage at work and he rescued it. When I received it the hard drive was still in it, complete with various software. The HD was (still is) partitioned. One of the partitions was (still is) compressed.

I have since added a second, 15 GB hard drive as a slave. When I installed the 2nd HD I had to download EZ-Bios from Maxtor since my BIOS didn't have any options for setting up a second HD.

Here's where the help and advice comes in. I want to move all the major software (OS, NAV, MS Office, MS Works) to the 2nd HD and then be able to reformat the original HD. The OS (Win 98) won't be a problem as I have disks for it, but the rest was all already on the computer and therefore I don't have any disks. Will it be possible to just move the NAV folders to the other drive? Am I going to run into problems with the BIOS? Will I run into any problems with my high speed internet access since it was established before the 2nd HD was installed? I greatly appreciate any and all help.

Here is what the computer was like when I got it:
    IBM
    BIOS: IBM SurePath
    Win 95
    32 MB Ram
    1 HD partitioned into: C, D, H
    When I installed the 2nd HD, it became drive D and the original HD was then C,E, H. (BTW, C has the OS and is also the drive that was compressed)
    This is what it looks like now:
    Win 98
    64 MB Ram
    Belarc gives the local drives as:
    c: (on drive 0) 1.88 GB 220 MB free
    d: (on drive 1) 15.34 GB 14.19 Gb free
    e: (on drive 0) 1.51 GB 597 MB free
    h: (on drive N) 1.05 GB 2 MB free

If you need more info, just let me know :)

2. ddriver

ddriver

EZ bios has a great option to copy the entire partion(meaning C drive) to another location, however the 2nd location MUST be the same FAT as the C drive. FAT 16 to FAT 16 FAT 32 to FAT 32.
    You could use xcopy to copy office and works But i believe you will lose your registry entries.
    Dunno if they'll work w/o them.
    I have used programs off a second disk w/o even re-installing them BUT not all programs are alike and require install programs which, of course, are located on the CD-rom disks that office and works come on.
    You could, worse come to worse go to the NS site and DL both.
    As to NAV and OS, dunno.
    Hope this is a help
    Run your sartup disk at bootup then run EZ bios and go to advanced options.

3. ddriver

ddriver

Don't know where my spelling went to.:(

4. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

How will installing Win 98 on my slave (and then turning it into the master) affect the programs already installed on that drive? If at all?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I suppose worse comes worst and I lose NAV I can always start using AVG.

Cindy

5. ddriver

ddriver

The advantage of copying the partition to your extra disk is in the fact you can edit it at your leisure (w/0 pressure).
    Install a plain jane win 98 on your c: drive and edit and/or copy files from your copied drive to your C drive.
    Use your copied C drive like a spare car and strip it of whatever you need and then maybe ditch it.

6. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

I am now thinking that I may have some BIOS issues to resolve before even worrying about moving programs. Everywhere in windows, my d: drive is read correctly as being 15 gigs. But when I go into the IBM bios - it is only reading 8 gigs of the d: drive.

Since I used EZ Bios off a floppy disk to mount and format the second drive, it (or I) must have installed something on the c: drive relating to EZ Bios. Exactly what will this mean for trying to use the second drive as the master? Should I see if there is an update for the IBM SurePath BIOS?

Any ideas?

Cindy

7. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

After doing some reading on updating the BIOS, I've decided that it is not a path I am willing to take :eek:

8. ddriver

ddriver

You could try installing EZ on your current C drive.
    So far as i know, you probably won't be able to boot off your second drive if EZ is installed.
    BUT you could try FDISK and try and make the 2nd drive active.
    I had to use EZ on my old comp when i added a new first and second drive because Compaq saw the first drive as a proprietary drive meaning a set size of about 500 megs and wouldn't recognize anything over that but the second drive was unlimited in meg recognition.
    You know, if you format C: after copying it to your second drive and then use EZ to install a fresh copy of win98 to your C drive all you have to do is boot in to that.
    If i'm reading you correctly.

9. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

That would be great, except I want the d: drive (since it is bigger and newer) to be my master (instead of the slave, as it is now) and therefore I want Win 98 on it and not the c:. And since I used EZ Bios to set up the d: drive, wouldn't it already be on the c:? Am I making things more confusing? Sorry if I am. I really appreciate all your suggestions so far.
    I would just really hate it if I installed win 98 on d:, moved over the software I wanted, wiped the c: and e: drive, jumpered the d: to master (ensuring that I had changed the boot sequence in the SurePath Bios), only to find that I was unable to boot.

Cindy

10. ddriver

ddriver

NO, EZ is not automatically installed on C

11. ddriver

ddriver

You know , of course, what FDISK, is?
    Check to see if you can set disk #2 as active.
    If you can't then C it's gotta be.

12. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

I don't know what you mean by setting disk #2 as active????

13. ddriver

ddriver

14. ddriver

ddriver

15. cindan

cindan Thread Starter

I checked out the links you gave. I have used fdisk before (I put together a computer for a friend, including the mounting, formatting, and installing of an OS on a harddrive). Right now I am not seeing the connection between possible bios problems and using fdisk? :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice