1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Moving Outlook 2007 files to new computer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sbmulqueen, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbmulqueen

sbmulqueen Thread Starter

Apologies if this seems redundant - I have been trying to piece together the answer from various posts. I am moving to a new machine - from Vista Pro running Office Pro 2007 to Windows 7. I know how to move my Office 2007 license, that's no problem. And of course all documents are backed up both on a hard drive and through an online service. I need to move my Outlook files - mail, calendar, contacts, etc. I "think" I've done it (via help from previous threads) through Outlook - file export, choose files (in this case, I made three - emails (including subfolders), contacts and calendar) and saved to a WD hard drive. I am terrified though that I didn't do it correctly, that I will move Outlook over and be stuck.

I tried to follow a link from another post that led to MS's support page, which invloved going to Control Panel, and the Mail icon - but there is no Mail icon on mine! So I am in a bit of a panic. I can't hook up my new computer until I know I can successfully move this!

Does it make sense/work to back up the pst files to my online backup? And then redownload? If my files on my external hard drive are indeed correctly exported when I launch new Outlook on new machine, do I just then re-import them? In theory, I really only need mail - my blackberry can re-import/sync my contacts and calendars.

Bonus points if you know a way to move the "recognition" feature - i.e. when I'm in outlook and I start typing someone's name in an email, and suggestions pop up! Thanks in advance.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. sbmulqueen

Thanks for the input. I am assuming the file in my outlook is whichever one is the most recent, i.e. dated today. And then how do i get the data to my new computer/outlook file? Is it just as good (assuming i have the right file!) to back it up/copy it to the online service I use or better to put on external hard drive?

The autocomplete link is for Outlook 2003 and XP or 2000, I have Outlook 2007 and Vista. So nothing seems the same to me!

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Sorry, here is the one for Vista
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100978871033.aspx#4

Read the article carefully, there is only 1 pst file.

Yes back up to an external hard drive.

5. sbmulqueen

Well, when I look on the properties of the 9 files in the folder 7 have .pst extension. Four are dated today - Sharyn, archive, and backup. One of the others is an .obi file. The other files are much older, so I'm guessing no conflict.

And alas, none of the files in that folder have the .nk2 extension. I will try to search for it, maybe it's somewhere else?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I would back up all the pst files, but I think the one you will need to migrate to the new system is the one named sharyn (should be the same name as your user account)

NK2 is in a different folder than the pst files, the Microsoft article did not list the file path correctly, here is where it should be

Windows Vista Go to C:\user\your user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

7. sbmulqueen

Thanks, it did just dawn on me that the sharyn one is the correct one - I re-checked the file in outlook. That looks like the same path that pst is in? It is in mine, at least! I searched the computer, nothing came up in my search. If that's the only thing that doesn't work, I will have to deal with it! Thanks again.

8. sbmulqueen

PS I'll mark solved when I complete this project. I'm a little intimidated but I will go for it.

9. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

I believe the new "Windows Easy Transfer" will accomplish everything you want

10. sbmulqueen

Thanks it all worked great. Turns out my online back up service did indeed already copy both pst and nk2 files and transfered them without a problem!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice