1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Moving text after completing a field

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Yogurt Dude, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yogurt Dude

Yogurt Dude Thread Starter

I was wondering if the following is possible:

I am using Microsoft Excel currently (on a Windows XP machine) and I have three columns, one is text (name) and the other two columns are MM/DD format (start date) (finish date).

Can I make something that will move the entire row to a new sheet/tab, after the second date is added?

Ex:
    Name Start Date Finish Date
    ABC Company 07/11/07 07/15/07
    BCF Company 07/15/07 _______

Any guidance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Dom

2. Sponsor

3. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Dom, yes easily, do you want to delete the row afterwards or just copy and paste it?

4. Yogurt Dude

I would like to copy and paste the information on a seperate tab if possible. I'm trying to track what projects are current and then list, by month, what was accomplished.

5. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can you give me the columns, what is in each, the sheet name it is to go to and where you want it to go to.
    Or post your Excel sheet an attachment.
    By the way do you have Access?

6. Yogurt Dude

Sir,
    I've attached the database to this reply. I'm a Deputy Sheriff and I'm tracking when the inmates go to the hospital, for what, by how and when they were there.

If you think I should have the date and time, separate...or anything else,I'm open to suggestions.

On another note, I have Microsoft Access, I've just never used it before. I was debating the idea of getting a book on Access and giving a shot at it.

Thank for your interest so far with this project.

-Dom

Attached Files:

7. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I would recommend that you apply a filter to the Excel spreadsheet which will allow to see the empty Date/Time finished field. You apply a filter to the data by:

Clicking in the list (data). Going to "Data">>"Filter">>"Auto Filter" from the menu bar. Select the drop-down arrow next to Data/Time Finished and from the list select "Blanks". This will show you all of the outstanding cases.

8. Yogurt Dude

Thank you Sir for the information. That is definitely an improvement from what I had before.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to move the closed out cases, or maybe I'll just cut and paste them.

Thanks for your input.

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Not a problem, anytime. Can you please mark the post as complete? To find all the closed cases you would filter for "NonBlanks" I would probably whip up an Access Database for the tracking myself.

10. Yogurt Dude

Well, I never thought of using a filtering process, but this will solve the problem.

I've never used Access to start up a Database. I'll give it a try in Access and see if I can make something up.

Thanks again for your help

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

Take a look at this - simple and you could do a lot more. I was going to but just got a work assignment... :eek:

Attached Files:

12. Yogurt Dude

That looks like it would work well. If sometime in the future, I needed to add some fields to it, would it be hard to?

I'm not used to Microsoft Access at all, so I was curious how hard it would be to run a report for stats?

Like every Government Agency, you don't do anything at the end of a year, without having to compute stats or keep copies, for review at a later date.

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

In order to add fields, go to the table, open it in design view and type in the name and type of the field. That's it.
    There are a lot more things you could do - have a drop-down for the months would be an easy start.
    I work as a statistician and use Access all the time. Sometimes, I will admit, I export the data (copy and paste in .csv format) in Excel to do some stats, but, I am just learning VBA.

14. Yogurt Dude

When I attempted to add some fields, I noticed that the file was in Read-only format.

Without asking a totally different question, is there a way to get around that? If I were to re-write the database...I would need to create a new table and then a new form? There's no other hidden tricks to creating a new database?

I apologize if I sound ignorant... I am still learning the basics.

15. slurpee55

slurpee55

You have to extract the file - it will open from in the zip file, but always as read-only.
    Try that first. Also, you may want to right-click on the extracted file, go to Properties and click on Read-Only until it is neither shaded or checked in green (usually green - could be different on another PC, I suppose).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597268