1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Moving Vista to a different drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JayDee81, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JayDee81

JayDee81 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

My problem is that I changed MB/CPU a while back & my new MB (GB-EP35-DS3) has only two IDE connectors; in my original configuration I had 2 DVD drives/burners (IDE), one IDE HD and one SATA HD, so I had to get rid of 1 of the DVD drives.

My OS (Vista x64) is running on a 300 GB Samsung IDE HD, while I have another 500 GB Samsung SATA HD.
    I'd like to replace the IDE one with a Velociraptor and add another 1 TB drive, but would't like to reinstall the whole OS and tools on the Velociraptor.

What will happen, if I just move the data onto the new drive? Will it work? What are my other options?

Thanks & best regards,
    JD

EDIT: While checking out some other drives, it seems I've missed the SSD drives popping up. What do you think about that as an alternative? My Windows directory is close to 22GB, so a 32GB SSD would be OK. Is it possible to have the User directory stored on a different drive?

EDIT2: Will Vistas Complete PC Backup & Restore do it maybe?

2. 1stoptek

1stoptek

I believe you will have to reinstall Vista on the new drive. It just won't work any other way that I can think of.

3. JayDee81

JayDee81 Thread Starter

And the reasons you base this on are?
    Don't get me wrong, it's just don't see any reasons that I think should really pose a problem. But since there is often the unforeseen with Windows, I thought I better double check here with some more experienced people :)

So, why do you think it would not work?

4. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

As long as you 'clone' the drive you shouldn't have a problem, as there are some system files that doing a copy/paste on simply will not move.

Before you do anything though, I would install the new hard drive (the one you want to move the OS to) and let Vista recognize it as part of it's hardware configuration, then reboot. After that, go ahead and do the cloning.

5. JayDee81

JayDee81 Thread Starter

This implies to me you also can't imagine any serious (and/or obvious) difficulties?

Cheers,
    JD

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You will probably need to reinstall. Vista is very sensitive to hardware changes for security reasons, and it has already installed the drivers for your original board which will be incompatible with a new board. You are moving Vista to a completely new machine.

Using a "universal restore" program is the only alternative to reinstallation, such as those from Symantec or Acronis. But they are expensive and not always successful.

7. JayDee81

JayDee81 Thread Starter

The hardware, that is the MB, CPU, RAM, GPU have already been changed a while back. Now I just want to get rid of the IDE drive which carries the OS, replace it with a small and fast SATA (and add another TB SATA HD for media, but that's not part of the problem).

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

So Vista has been running on this new hardware already?

9. JayDee81

JayDee81 Thread Starter

With all components EXCEPT the new HDDs I want to put in.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I guess somewhere along the line, I misunderstood. If drives are all that are being changed, then it is quite possible that Vista won't boot, but running the repair from the DVD usually takes care of that.

11. JayDee81

JayDee81 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll just try it! :)

12. tholouha

tholouha

Did it work?

13. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

not to mention there is no way to change the HD Contoller from one drive to another for a dif mb, same mb you may be able to but dif mb you will have to reinstall.

14. Nitro316

Nitro316 Banned

nvrmnd that last post, I misread your post. Ghost to new harddrive is all you need to do to transfer "everything" registry, system files, etc. without major problems.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice