1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Moving XP Pro user off a domain and into workgroup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ccrb, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccrb

ccrb Thread Starter

With the demise of a Primary Domain Controller, I'm replacing the server with a simpler Vista/Win7 power workstation to act as a peer file server. Right now, the three existing workstations are still logging into a Windows domain, but I'll need to change it for them to log into windows and be a part of a workgroup.

I know there's a way to maintain settings, desktop, my-documents, etc, but it always seems I create the same userid on the local workstation, it re-creates everything and all the existing files, outlook, desktop are all under a different user in /documents and settings

It can't be that complicated. Is there a step by step procedure for migrating a user from a domain to a local user & workgroup while keeping everything the same?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

That is just the way windows does it when pulling out of a domain environment, it cannot re-use the Domain user account name due to security restrictions. That is why it creates a new account name.

You can create a new user account, then migrate the user profile to the new account.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/domain-removalmigrate-user-profile/80988.html

http://www.smallbizserver.net/Forums/tabid/53/forumid/23/postid/16169/view/topic/Default.aspx

3. ccrb

ccrb Thread Starter

Thanks. I already did the migration. I had to copy the outlook pst files manually. Things are looking good.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I don't know af any utility that makes it any easier, sorry.

"If it were easy, everybody would be doing it ! "

Welcome to TSGF.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Be sure to check the path to the store folder in Outlook. I've had it continue to use the old folder, storing new mail there, instead of in the new profile. Works fine until you delete the old profile and it recreates it with an empty pst file.

6. ccrb

ccrb Thread Starter

thanks outcaste... I did check that... but this version of outlook 2003 has a business contact manager which didn't transfer over. I've not been able to find how to activate the business contact manager for the new user, although there are 2 copies of the files that go with it... one under the old userid/local files and one under the new one.

Is there anyone here who is an expert at business contact manager 2003?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice