1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mozilla and other programs running SUPER SLOW at times? Please help.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dremen, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

Hello there:)

Ok i have an older model ibm thinkpad with a 1.70GHz processor and 504mb of ram.

So as of late my computer for some odd reason decides to run extremely slow. Like I mean if you try to close mozilla it takes almost 10 seconds for the screen to go away and it will take forever to open mozilla up again?

Im running microsoft security essentials so i don't think it's a virus, but i could be wrong? Also im thinking maybe the cpu fan is broken(that is if it's not a passive heatsink)?

Here is a picture of the current processes for you folks to look at. If you see any problems please let me know what is running that should not be.

Thank you kindly.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the installer link in version 2.0.4 to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

Close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it. Allow it to install in its default location.

After it's installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear. Save the log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the exact model number of that IBM Thinkpad so we can determine how much RAM it supports?

I'm assuming at this point that it has Windows XP installed. The HiJackThis log will confirm that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

No idea what the model number is, but here is the report. Thanks:)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 9:34:35 AM, on 12/08/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSSE] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {2DAD3559-2923-4935-AD49-B673D2539944} (IASRunner Class) - http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/acpir.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F615097B-D015-4270-BB73-C5BAA391460B}: NameServer = 142.161.130.154 142.161.2.154
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Lenovo - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe

--
    End of file - 4406 bytes

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Startup(tab) and uncheck all startup entries, except for

SynTPEnh or SynTPEnh.exe

MSSE or msseces.exe

CTFMON or CTFMON.EXE

After you're done, click Apply - OK/Close - Exit Without Restart.

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK to open the services window.

Double-click on these entries, change the startup type to Manual if it's set on Automatic, then click Apply - OK.

ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC)

Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService)

NMSAccessU

After you're done, close the window and then restart your computer.

When the small SCU window appears during restart, put a checkmark in it first before you click OK to close it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go to these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

Select and delete everything from inside these 2 temp folders. If a few files resist deletion, leave them alone and delete everything else.

After you're done, restart your computer.

5. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

Ok what will that do?

I can follow instructions just fine, but first would like to know im not going to do anything that will muck up my pc.

Again thank you:)

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've given you instructions that I use in these forums all the time and that I use when working on Windows XP computers that are running slow and have problems.

The less programs that are auto-loading and running in the background, the faster a computer will start and run. Many programs don't need to auto-load and run at all, and others can be manually started when needed.

A large buildup of temp/junk files can cause various problems. The second temp folder is also a good place for a nasty to hide and do its dirty deed.

If you have any doubts and think I'm going to "muck" up your computer, then I'll depart from your thread and let someone else assist you.

7. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

Oh no sir I ment no disrespect at all, my apologies.

You just explained it perfectly for me...thank you:)

I was able to find the windows/temp folder, but i can't find the C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

I don't seem to have a local settings folder? Hmmmm?

Please continue in assisting me:)

8. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

also what in the heck is this........... ps.j.tv2n.net ?

I get that on the lower left hand corner where DONE is normally.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You can't find the other temp folder because of your current settings.

Open the MY COMPUTER window, then click Tools - Folder Options - View(tab).

Select "Show hidden files and folders".

Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Ignore the warning that appears.

If it's not grayed out, click "Aply to all folders" before you click Apply - OK to close the window.

You'll now be able to locate the other temp folder so you can delete its contents.

---------------------------------------------------------------

After you've trimmed down the startup load and emptied out the temp folders and restarted, submit a new HiJackThis log here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

Ok I did as you advised and here is the scan results that you requested:)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 7:19:18 AM, on 13/08/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSSE] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {2DAD3559-2923-4935-AD49-B673D2539944} (IASRunner Class) - http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/acpir.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F615097B-D015-4270-BB73-C5BAA391460B}: NameServer = 142.161.130.154 142.161.2.154
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Lenovo - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe

--
    End of file - 3740 bytes

11. dremen

dremen Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to mention that my Microsoft Security Essentials won't turn on automatically most times. 8/10 times I have to start it manually?

Thanks for the help:)

One last thing I forgot to mention is that I defragmented the hard drive yesterday as well. Computer seems to run faster now, but still a lil sluggish apon start up?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Let's find out if your computer is infested with malware and/or spyware. That can slow down a computer and cause various problems.

Download and save the free version of these programs:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46

SUPERAntiSpyware 4.41.0.1000

After they've been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then install them both.

After they've both been installed, start SUPERAntiSpyware,

Click "Preferences", uncheck the top 2 boxes in "Startup Options", then close SUPERAntiSpyware.

After that's been done, restart your computer.

Follow these detailed instructions for using them:

Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Click "Updates(tab) - Check for Updates".

When the definition files have updated, click "OK".

Click "Scanner(tab) - Perform quick scan - Scan".

If infections are found during the scan, the number of infections will be highlighted in red.

When the scan is finished, click "Show Results".

Make sure that everything is selected, then click "Remove Selected".

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click "Yes".

Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again.

Click "Logs"(tab).

Highlight the scan log entry, then click "Open".

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy-and-paste it here.

Start SUPERAntiSpyware.

Click "Check for Updates".

When the definition files have updated, click "Close".

Click "Scan your Computer - Perform Quick Scan - Next".

If infections or problems are found during the scan, a list will appear.

When the scan is finished and the scan summary window appears, click "OK".

Make sure that everything in the list is selected, then click "Next".

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click "Yes".

Start SUPERAntiSpyware again.

Click "Preferences - Statistics/Logs"(tab).

Highlight the scan log entry, then click "View Log".

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy-and-paste it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/942535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice