1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mozilla Firefox not working on PC

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Chips2, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chips2

Chips2 Thread Starter

Please can someone tell me how to get Mozilla Firefox to work on my computer?
    If I uninstall it and do a new download it will work the first time but after I have closed it I cannot get it to come up on the screen again although it shows as in the Task Manager as being active
    Other browsers will work, internet explorer, etc.
    Windows firewall set to accept.
    Windows edition 8.1 on a PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-3220 CPU @3.30GHz
    Installed Memory 8.00 GB (3.47 GB usable)
    System Type – 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Try uninstalling it again type %appdata% into the run box then find and delete the mozilla folder and re-install this will give a new version of firefox with no previous settings.Just note if you take this action all previous passwords bookmarks and settings connected with firefox will be lost.

3. Chips2

Chips2 Thread Starter

I have tried this and the result is the same but thanks for your information

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Not to get off the subject of your browser issue:

Why are you running Windows 8.1 32-bit in a computer that has 8 GB of RAM?

A 32-bit operating system will use no more than 3.25 - 3.50 GB of RAM.

If you want your computer to make full use of its 8 GB of RAM, you should switch to Windows 8.1 64-bit.

------------------------------------------------------------

5. Chips2

Chips2 Thread Starter

The answer is quite simple, I am not that computer literate. However I am keen to learn so if you would be kind enough to tell me how to run it on 64bit I am all ears. I am a bit worried that something else will crash or have to be reinstalled if I make any changes.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Switching from Windows 8.1 32-bit to Windows 8.1 64-bit would require wiping out the hard drive and doing a clean install and getting a fresh start.

You'd also have to confirm if all your hardware devices and software programs work with 64-bit.

You're not computer knowledgeable, so you're probably better off leaving things as they are.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. Chips2

Chips2 Thread Starter

Thank you Frank, I thought that might be the case. I will stick with what I have for now.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Try a portable version of Firefox. I'm linking you to the ESR (extended support release) that doesn't have as many bells and whistles and hence only gets updates for security. This version will work until August of this year. There is no new version every 6 weeks.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr
    Put the download into a folder on your Windows 8.1 desktop. Unpack it there and when you want to run it, click the exe icon. Everything will be saved to that folder - downloads, bookmarks, etc.

9. Chips2

Chips2 Thread Starter

The portable version work well, thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice