1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by professorxox, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. professorxox

professorxox Thread Starter

Hi, I have Mozilla Firefox supposedly set as my default browser. I have Netzero, and everytime I log on...Internet Explorer is what pops up as the Netzero Homepage. I don't mind closing IE then going in Firefox, but it's kind of a hassle and i'm sure there's got to be a way to have FIREFOX load instead of IE.

2. BillC

BillC

In your Firefox browser > Tools > Options > General do you have the box checked to make FF your default browser?

3. professorxox

Hi Bill,
    No, but when I DID go in and put a check in that box and log off Netzero and logged back on again....IE still popped up as the browser...and when I went to options on IE, I saw that "Check to see if IE is set as default browser" had no check in the box, which let me to believe that FIREFOX should have been what popped up after NETZERO connected.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

If I'm not mistaken, I think that IE SHOULD have that box checked, the one asking if IE should check to make sure it is the default browser. If that one is checked, and the one to make FF the default browser is checked, then I think it will work. That is the way I have mine.

5. professorxox

ok, well checked the FIREFOX box and unchecked the IE BOX and the other way around. Neither one worked. What I interpret from Laura is that BOTH IE and FF should have both of their boxes checked. Now i'm going to go try that now.

6. professorxox

Ok, I'm back...Checked both boxes for IE and FF..Then logged off Netzero then logged back in again but IE always seems to be the one that pops up. grrrrr. There has got to be a way besides x'ing out of IE then pulling up FF.

7. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Hmmmm.........perhaps it something to do with your computer........because I have tried it with the IE box checked and unchecked, and, so long as the FF box IS checked, it seems to make no difference what the IE one is. It seems that so long as FF is checked to be the default browser, it over-rides anything else..........

OH WAIT......have you tried going to "Start" > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults and the checked to see what the defaults and all are in there? If you go down to " Custom," you can change the default browser there, AND you can disable access to IE there.

You might give that a try.

8. professorxox

Laur, I don't see those options under add/remove programs...Keep in mind that I have M/E..might be different in xp.

9. BillC

BillC

I don't suppose there is any settings in NetZero's interface where you can assign your default browser? And I think the box 'check to see if IE is default browser' should not be checked. This might sound strange, but with the box set in FF and unchecked in IE, have you rebooted?

10. professorxox

No, i didn't reboot after each changes only because usually when that is necessary for changes to take place...windows would usually inform, but I will do that right now. The furthest i've gone after each change was to log off NETZERO, close off all browsers, then log back on. Let me try rebooting.

11. professorxox

Well...rebooted and still not working...logged on NETZERO and again, IE loaded up, like always, with NETZERO's Homepage. Is there any way to just totally disable IE? There has got to be a way. Thinking maybe Netzero has some type of contract with MS to only use IE. hmmm

12. BillC

BillC

Try this. Go to Run, type in msconfig hit 'ok', then click on the 'Services' tab, look for 'Computer Browser', uncheck it, then click 'apply'. Frankly I'm not sure what that will do, but you could try.

13. professorxox

I checked in msconfig, bill...but I don't have that option ...maybe because I have ME? I guess i'll have to deal with this...It's not really a big problem, but i'm pulling out my hair that I can't figure this out. Maybe someone can figure out how to at least disable IE. In the meantime....no other problems, so can't ask for more than that...thanks guys/gals!!

14. lister

lister

~I from the netzero.net website~

I imagine Firefox is out. Firefox probably IS your default browser, but as long as you use this 'Netzero' to get online it will default to IE.

15. lister

lister

It will do Sweet FA, LOL!

'Computer Browser service' - Maintains a list of computers on a network!!
    If you're on a stand alone PC, disable it by all means in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
    DO NOT USE MSCONFIG TO DISABLE SERVICES!!

You can disable Vitalservices in MSconfig - but not in the Services dialogue!

MSConfig is a troubleshooting tool.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!