1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: mp3 files on a USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by barjo4, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

for the past few years I have listened to old radio files loaded in numbered order on a USB flash drive to play in the in dash unit in my truck. Lately, the desk top I use will load the files and when reviewed on the PC, they appear in correct order, but when I play them in my truck on the Pioneer in dash, they appear out of sequence, even though the random setting is switched off. At the same time, an mp3 CD plays normally.
    Thanks in advance, John

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that is a problem. They play back in the order that they are copied to the stick. Windows doesn't copy in order. You need to copy the one-by-one in the order you want them played, or use a program that will do that which I hope I can still find and come back to give you.:D

It will probably work if you drag and drop them to the drive in the order you want them to play. Some say that robocopy will do them in order, too.

EDIT: Not sure what I used now, but here is some help: http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html

3. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

I think you found the answer, but I am not sure why this problem should have occurred, but thanks for helping.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's just the way it works. Files are played back in the order they are found on the mp3 player. If the files are copied in a group, they are not copied in order.

What did you end up doing?

5. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

I found FATSort and downloaded it. So far, it appears to work. Mp3 files are only a problem with the flash drive

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds right. You can also do it by dragging and dropping one file at a time in the order you want them played. That works fine if you are going through a list and picking which ones you want, anyway.

Happy computing. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice