(Solved) MS Access Report/per record?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lunapero

I am using the Student & classes template to record student grades.
I am trying to figure out how to print a report card per student. As yet all i can do is print a list of all teh students grades & classes all together. Is there a way to print a report that is baseed on a particular record i.e. the student ID.
Thanks in advance

lunapero

I think I can just add a page break to seperate all my students. However anyone know how to cahnge a report from portrait to landscape after you have already created it?

Anne Troy

Anne
Ouch, luna! You're always asking the tough ones! Sure, you can change it to landscape. In design view, you should be able to go to page setup and change it to landscape. But of course, you'll have to move everything around.

As for the page break: yeah, you can put the student's name field in the report header, and any totals in the report footer. Then you shouldn't need a page break.

------------------
~dreamboat~
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
Brainbench

YSB

If you want to print the report just based on one student, there are two ways to do it.

1) Open the report from a command button in a form that is showing that students data. The code for the button should be this:

Docmd.OpenReport "NameOfReport", , , "[StudentID] = " & Me!StudentID

That will open the report filtered for that one student.

2) In the DataSource of the report add a condition that requests user input. Using the Query Builder, in the Where box of the StudentID field, Enter:

=[Enter Student Number]

This will bring up a box when the report is opened that requests you to enter a student ID number. The number you entered will be the only student displayed in the report.

lunapero

Ok gang here is where I am at... No problem changing to Landscape. I was just looking in teh wrong place. as for seperating record. I am runnin into some problems. Sorry DreamBoat but if you place the info in the footer it ends up bing on the bottom of teh page. That won't do. Yeah yeah, I am so picky. I tried YSB's sugestion and ended up with a an error message.." compile error" " Type mismatch. Then it to me to my script.
So extra info. I am a rookie in access among other things. Also I have a few memo field that are included im my tables that are being printed in the report. thus the need for the landscape view. I have since begun to rethink that landscape ide any way. due to the difficulty getting my report to move to the next class record per student.

Also as yet some of my record are getting mixed up. i.e. right name right record then another wrong record . I figure I need to get the report dialed in first.
Thanks again for all the help. and putting up with my head scratching.

YSB

1) Are student ID numbers strictly numeric or are they alphanumeric? (Is the Type for the ID field Text or one of the number types?) If it is alphanumeric then some modifications need to be made to the code I gave you.

2) In order to proceed I need to know exactly what you tried. Post back as much info as you can and I'll try to step you through it.

Good Luck!

lunapero

Private Sub Student_ID_Click()
DoCmd.OpenReport "students3", , , "[studentID]= " & Me
StudentID
End Sub

Thats what I am looking at. Access won't let me type the "!" after the "ME" not sure if that makes a difference.

I am not quite certain as to where to input the =[Enter Student Number] I The reports are built from a querry. Oh and my Student Id number is an auto number so its numeric only. Thanks a ton for all the help. This is actually very interesting for me. agin I apreciate your sugestions.

lunapero

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa

Hot dog I looked a little closer at your text and guess what I found.... When I printed it out to look at it it split the code in half. I re-typed it and Bam it worked. I also added a space after student before ID....Thanks again for your help. By the way you got any advice for someone who is trying to teach themselves VB. Travis

YSB

Glad you got it!

As far as learning VB, it's hard to say as it varies drastically by the individual. There are some people who can pick up a book and get the hang of it in a week or two and some people who can sit in class for years and still not get it. In general, learning in a class gives you the advantage of the teacher's personal experience and techniques. If you are very bright and catch on fast though you can still learn from a book.

Maybe Talismanic (another member of this board) can offer some more detailed advice on the subject as he just went through this.

Good Luck!

lunapero

Thanks again. I have found some decent class notes on the web and am teaching myself. things are going well. Once again... Thankyou

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online